Thread: Shopcraft 3-wheel band saw

Shopcraft 3-wheel band saw

The model # is T6760 20P. Is anyone familiar with this saw? I know it was sold in the 80s through JC Penney's. My question is: Does it work well or is it a hobby toy?
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

Someone gave dad one of these. It had the word Craftsman on it. It hung around for years and never got used. I decided I could use it with a small blade. Too late. It had been given or thrown away before I got to try it. I think it could be very handy with a 1/8" or 1/4" fine tooth blade. The small wheels will speed up the work hardening that blades suffer from.

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 5.45.28 PM.pngimage snip from the web

I have a Craftsman model that looks very similar to it. It could be fine for small work on not very thick material. The problem mine has is that it uses a nylon gear that is press fitted onto the shaft of the motor. Over time, that gear became stripped, and I could not find a replacement. I had a friend 3D print me one, but 3D material just isn't strong enough to cut anything very thick (it got stripped out quickly).

Like most tools, I think it depends on how you plan to use it. If you plan to just cut 3/4" wood, it is probably fine. If you plan to use it for more serious work, pretty less than ideal. One plus side is that it is a small bench top bandsaw so doesn't take up a lot of space, which could be important for some people.

Sold at Penneys would be the indicator for me. I would have guessed Montgomery Wards, but I have no idea. They were not known for selling quality woodworking machinery. Tracking is a major pain on a 3 wheeler.

I bought one of the Craftsman versions from a pawn shop years ago. It was new in the box, never opened by the original owner. This was my first foray into bandsaws, so I was not very knowledgeable on the subject of bandsaws, Long story short, it was a pain to run. The three wheels made it difficult to replace blades. It was difficult to keep blades tracking properly, and the blades were difficult to find. Thankfully, I did not pay much for it at the time.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Different story, same song.

My brother in law gave me an old Craftsman 10" he gave up on. I gave it a few tries, and was defeated by plastic parts, blade tracking, and general crappyness. I think I threw it away.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Different story, same song.

My brother in law gave me an old Craftsman 10" he gave up on. I gave it a few tries, and was defeated by plastic parts, blade tracking, and general crappyness. I think I threw it away.
    My first band saw was a Craftsman 3 wheeler. I had the same experiences as Rick and his brother. It wasn't long before I was rid of it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I've never heard anyone speak well of a three wheeled bandsaw. Find yourself a small two wheel bandsaw, or better yet a scroll saw, if you want to do small cuts with thin blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    I've never heard anyone speak well of a three wheeled bandsaw. Find yourself a small two wheel bandsaw, or better yet a scroll saw, if you want to do small cuts with thin blades.
    From my experience with a scroll saw (mine was junky) I imagine A 3 wheeler with an 1/8" blade being superior to a scroll saw. I do want another scroll saw with a twisty uni- directional blade.

I had a three wheel Delta bandsaw for years. It was a 16" with a 1/2HP motor, and did me well for almost 20 years. I sold it to a guy who thought he could make it into a metal cutting saw.

I tried to dissuade him from trying, and don't know how it worked out. I imagine he ruined it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I was disappointed to miss the opportunity to try the Craftsman 3 wheeler. I have had a few days in the shop when 4 blade changes were needed. I imagine a day when the shop contains a saw for each blade, Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large. I have a tiny, a medium, and an extra large. I am still changing blades more often than I like.

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 5.45.28 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    From my experience with a scroll saw (mine was junky) I imagine A 3 wheeler with an 1/8" blade being superior to a scroll saw. I do want another scroll saw with a twisty uni- directional blade.
    Scroll saws are a finicky beast. They're a lot harder to operate than a bandsaw. They're kind of like a sports car, in that you have a lot more control available to you once you have learned how to control them. But if you're not that experienced yet, they just seem hard to control.

The best advice I have to using a scroll saw is understand that the blades are stamped and not ground. Which means they will never cut straight and always drift. But the drift is consistent, so you have to learn how to go along with it instead of fight it. And two, get a momentary foot switch. It makes it a lot easier to control that metaphorical sports car if you have a brake and gas pedal. If you can stop it the microsecond you start to lose control, it makes it so much easier to get back in control. And eventually, as you get better with controlling it, you'll rely on it less and less on the pedal and may one day decide you don't need it anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Tracking is a major pain on a 3 wheeler.
    Yes. This. . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

Samuel Butler

Had a Delta 3 wheel bandsaw, homeowners version, 1980's. bought it to saw 2 1/4" thick glued up popular for decorative pieces on a house. worked good for what it cost. Not a very smooth cut. Was good for installing hardwood floor, light, easy to move around
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

I'm glad the reports on the three wheelers are mostly bad.
    They show up on Marketplace and CL around me all the time & for not a lot of money.
    I have been tempted.

As far as a scroll saw goes -I like reading scroll saw village. Lot's of good info and patterns.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon