Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2" Resaw king blade

1/2" Resaw king blade

I have a Laguna 14BX 2.5hp 14" bandsaw and a 3/4" Resaw King blade which was bought together with the bandsaw. It works very well and the 3/4" Resaw King blade cut very well although I don't have much experience with bandsaw and don't know how well other bandsaw cut. However, there is always a minor drift with 3/4" Resaw king blade. I have tried everything to correct that drift but unable to do so. There are 3 screw to adjust the fence based on the manual, but in reality once I tightened the screw, the fence always stay at the same angle. The table can't be adjusted either for the drift.

I read on the forum that 3/4" blade is too wide for the 14 inch band saw and can't be tensioned well. So I bought several 1/2" blades from timberwolf including 3 TPI , 6 TPI, and 3/4 TPI veneer blade. They are much cheaper and none of them has drift problem. But none of them cut as good as the 3/4" resawking blade. Then I read from this forum that somebody said that he use 1/2" resawking blade and cut almost as good as 3/4" resawking blade. So I purchased a 1/2" resawking blade.

Here is the problem. The 1/2" resawking blade cut very bad for any wood that I have tried. Worse than any of my 3 other timber Wolf 1/2" blade. I thought I received a bad blade so I contacted Laguna service. Laguna has excellent service, they sent me a new 1/2 Resaw king blade without any question, and also sent me a 1/2" 10 TPI blade as a gift.

The new 1/2" Resaw King blade cut slightly better than my first one, but still much worse than the 3/4" Resaw King blade. I would say the new 1/2" Resaw King blade cut quality is very similar to the Timber Wolf 1/2" blade or 1/2" veneer blade, in some cases maybe slightly better but not too much, some cases slightly worse, most cases very similar. The 1/2" Resaw King blade cut much faster, but the cut quality is not that good. I am very satisfied with the cut quality of the 3/4" Resaw king blade, and very disappointed with the 1/2" Resaw King blade.

I am wondering if it's normal that the 1/2" blade cut quality is significantly less than the 3/4" blade? It's unlikely that Both 1/2" Resaw King blades are defective. The resawking blade cost 5 time as the timberwolf blade and I would expect much better cut quality, not similar.

I think I really like the 1/2" blade because there is no drift problem. What would be the best 1/2" blade for 14BX bandsaw? I use bandsaw to cut mostly straight line and occasionally Resaw.
    Last edited by Eugene Lee; 06-11-2024 at 3:28 PM.

That's unfortunate that you've had so much trouble.
    I think the 3/4"= too wide applies to cast iron frame saws- it should be OK on the Laguna, you just have a poorly performing blade.

I've just recently gotten this & am very pleased- smooth cut, narrow kerf. Can't say about durability but I haven't had much issue with blades wearing out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB5XM1FC...t_details&th=1

On the previous saw I was also very happy with this, but it doesn't come in the size for the new saw.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFC5ZYM...roduct_details

I'd suggest checking wheel and motor alignment.
    Datum scribed.jpeg
    https://i.postimg.cc/bvFBNnbz/Datum-scribed.jpg

All the best
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I think the 3/4"= too wide applies to cast iron frame saws- it should be OK on the Laguna, you just have a poorly performing blade.

I've just recently gotten this & am very pleased- smooth cut, narrow kerf. Can't say about durability but I haven't had much issue with blades wearing out.

On the previous saw I was also very happy with this, but it doesn't come in the size for the new saw.

That Infinity blade looks like it could be a rebranded Woodslicer. Which itself is a rebranded meat cutting blade. Seems to be a few bucks cheaper though. Blades like this are generally what gives the best cut quality.

I've heard a few people tell me that a new Timberwolf will cut about like a new Resaw King. Where the Resaw King earns its keep is that it'll stay relatively sharp for much, much longer than the Timberwolf. So you're not paying for cut quality so much as cut quantity. Usually, something like the Woodslicer or maybe that Infinity blade are chosen when cut quality is most important, and blade life doesn't matter.

+1
    14" delta clones and Asian imports do not have a heavy enough tension spring for a 3/4" blade.
    I don't know how much tension or what size spring you have on your Laguna but you may be fine with a 3/4" blade.
    Wider blade typically cut straighter, cut quality is another thing. Cut quality usually has more to do with sharpness, feed pressure and so on.

The only way to know if the 3/4" blade can be tensioned adequately on your saw is to measure it. Here's a link on how to do it. It'll take less than an hour of your time. https://sites.google.com/d/1deYVS01k...i=1&authuser=1

Did you ever set up your saw properly when you first got it? The miter slot should be parallel with the blade when the blade is centered on the top wheel. Then set your fence parallel with the miter slot. If a new blade doesn't cut straight adjust the tracking adjustment on the upper wheel. If it still won't cut straight then it's time to check to see if the wheels are coplaner and, if they aren't, to adjust them until they are. This should all be in your owner's manual. In any case, a saw that's not set up properly will always give you problems. And with one that is, it's much easier to diagnose problems. Nine out of 10 times it's a dull blade or low tension.

The best blade? The one that cuts straight. All else is secondary for me.

John

My experience with the RK blades is the way it cuts depends on the sharpening done at Laguna. I say this because I’ve had one blade that cuts very good and left hardly one broken fiber but slow. And another blade that cut faster but left a surface with lines. Remember the Rk blade doesn’t have set like a carbon steel hook blade. When handling the
    Rk blade always gotta be careful not to tweak the teeth or the band. The band is very thin for good reason
    Too me its far too expensive for a general purpose leave on the saw blade. It’s a joinery blade for laminations veneers on dry expensive woods.
    I also use the woodmaster ct. The woodmaster blades are clones always perfect welds always cuts the same.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I have not run a Resaw King on my BX. I have pretty much gone to the Highland Woodslicer blade with the best results so far. Has Laguna helped with the drift/alignment issue? I can dial in blade drift without fuss on my saw. Unrelated to your problem but some time back I was cutting a 36” circle on the jig and one of the guide screws came loose. Pretty high action as the blade deflected into the metal throatplate! On a suggestion here I replaced the guide screws with cap screws and all has been good.

Thank you for all the good suggestions. The saw blade is parallel to the table miter groove. All my 1/2" blades have no drift problems. I also have a 1/4" blade and a 1/8" blade from Timberwolf and neither of these has drift problem. Drift only occurs on 3/4" Resaw King blade. However, the 3/4" Resaw King blade cut beautifully even with minor drift. I am not sure if I should be bothered by the drift because it cut very well.

I am reluctant to adjust the wheel for coplanar because all my other blades have zero drift. I am just afraid cause new problem by adjusting the wheel.

It's good to hear that new timberwolf blade might cut as good as resawking blade. But from my experience, none of my 1/2 timberwolf blade cut as good as the 3/4" resawking blade. They cut almost as good as my 1/2" resawking blade, but nowhere near the quality of 3/4" resawking blade.

Thank you. I might want to get this infinity blade. I heard that the more TPI the better cut quality. But I didn't see significantly improved cut quality of my 6 TPI 1/2 blade compared to 3 TPI 1/2 blade. The cut quality of 10 TPI 1/2 blade is not that good either.

If you're not tracking the blade with teeth off the wheel, then you likely need adjust nothing to check alignment,
    i.e regarding east/west adjustments,
    though the faces/rims of the wheels might not be trustworthy enough to give a true reading.
    A laser pointer in a block, mounted onto the wheel retaining bolt could also work, either way you'd be laying down masking tape to compare lines.

It might likely be the case of the results not being very pleasing to see though.
    i.e the motor not being in-line regarding whichever direction the upper wheel is facing.

Plenty of posts, particularly some recent Centauro ones which I've documented all that in, since they used to make a fully adjustable saw.

All the best
    Tom

Do yourself a favor and build the tension meter to test the tension on your 1/2" and 3/4" Resaw King blades. If you find the machine can't put much tension (at least 20 ksi) on the 3/4" blade then that's your answer - forget using 3/4" blades. If it will muster at least 20 ksi then check the wheels to see if they are coplaner. If you find they are, indeed, coplaner, then you will know that the tracking problem with the 3/4" blade most likely is with the blade.

With regard to the blade, have you tried laying it on its back on a flat surface? You should see no daylight under it. If you do, it's not going to behave well. I would do that first.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Lee View Post
    The table can't be adjusted either for the drift.
    I thought "surely this can't be right" but apparently is. Maybe this helps sell their Driftmaster Fence(?). At any rate the fence adjustment process is shown in this video at about the 2'10" mark. Are you saying this is not working for you?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

Samuel Butler

I've read somewhere that Laguna imports the Resaw King from another manufacturer, and then sharpens them here in the U.S. before putting their name on them. So it's basically a different company's blade that's been sharpened by Laguna. And that's also why Laguna offers a sharpening service. I've also read some people complain about them not being sharpened properly from Laguna to begin with and other problems. And typically, Laguna's service isn't top notch. But, having Laguna resharpen the 1/2" blade might fix the cut quality problem.

So it might be worth contacting Laguna. Besides, I would think a 14BX would be able to properly tension a 3/4" Resaw King. The 14BX is a 2.5hp saw and is pretty stout. And the Resaw King blades are thinner than some other 3/4" blades and so require a bit less tension than some. Plus, they're both Laguna brand, so they're not going to want to blame your saw for your blade problems. So I bet you'd stand a better chance than most at getting some satisfaction from their service department. At the very least, you could hear it from the horse's mouth as to whether your saw can (or should be able to) properly tension that blade.

There is certainly an argument that drift isn't really a thing, its just the byproduct of a poorly setup saw. That said, if you're having good luck with other 1/2" blades, it would seem unlikely that that is the problem.

The first question that comes to my mind is what do you mean, "poor cut quality"? It's wondering off line, it's not cutting squarely, exceptionally rough cut, etc? FWIW I have a 1/2" Resaw king on my Laguna 14|12 and would not change it for love nor money. It worked perfectly out of the box...never had to adjust the saw, nothing. Just excellent results from day 1. Now that blade was purchased ~5 years ago, so I don't know if they subcontract manufacturing or something and quality has gotten worse? But I haven't heard of widespread issues with them (not that I would, but you'd think it would be popping up on the forum fairly often if a relatively popular blade went to crap).