Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on Kubota D902 engine that won't start at low throttle?

The fuel filter appears to be some Chinese filter. I couldn't get close enough to read the number. The previous owner may have actually changed the filter. I assumed based on other issues they probably never changed the fuel filter in the two years they had the mower. It turns out the filter is a Kubota 70000-43081. There are numerous other filters that would also work. The biggest pain is going to be getting under the mower to change the filter without spilling the pre-filled filter.

The diesel I used is definitely not old. It was recently purchased from a local station that sells plenty of diesel.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 06-11-2024 at 7:09 PM.

I was told highway diesel has less sulfur and mercury than farm diesel. I guess I can google that... Fact check = false

There is no chemical difference between on-road and off-road diesel fuels. On-road diesel, also known as clear diesel, can be purchased at the local gas station. Off-road diesel is dyed red and is sold through bulk distributors. The only differences are in the color, cost, and intended use.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-11-2024 at 7:17 PM.

Maybe you put Diesel into a gasoline engine fuel tank? It happens.
    Drain off water, check for algae, change the fuel filter
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    On-road diesel, also known as clear diesel, can be purchased at the local gas station. Off-road diesel is dyed red and is sold through bulk distributors.
    I buy off-road diesel for my Kubota at a local gas station that has a pump dedicated to that. No need to find a bulk distributor, but I suspect it's a few pennies more expensive "not in bulk". No matter, my containers only hold 5-6 gallons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    Our neighbor is a mechanic at our local Cat - Fabick shop, He has a funny story about the time his co-worker put several hundred gallons of salvaged gasoline in the waste oil tank. The shop has heated floors to supplement the HVAC system. The boiler burns waste oil. It had two settings, on and off. It was 115 degrees inside the shop when the staff arrived on a frigid Monday morning in February. It did not cool off inside until April.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-11-2024 at 8:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I buy off-road diesel for my Kubota at a local gas station that has a pump dedicated to that. No need to find a bulk distributor, but I suspect it's a few pennies more expensive "not in bulk". No matter, my containers only hold 5-6 gallons.
    I do not recognize that quote as being mine. I guess it is paraphrased. Very few stations in our town have the off road. We have to get out of town to find off road diesel.

Blog Entries
    There is no chemical difference between on-road and off-road diesel fuels. On-road diesel, also known as clear diesel, can be purchased at the local gas station.
    Here on the west coast all of the diesel I've seen when filling my truck was a definite lime green color.

The dealer where my truck was purchased said to not use biodiesel. I do not know if the biodiesel at the one station I stopped was clear or some other color. My choice was to not take a chance.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I expect the color for on road is all the same. It just looks different depending on the light and how much of it you're looking through. Greenish, yellowish, clearish. I like the clear fuel filter on the John Deere best of fuel filters.

Off road is dyed as has been stated. All diesel these days is ULSD or Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel. Bio diesel.....well if you can avoid it you should. If you can't you don't want stronger than B10. The biodiesel begins to gel at about 30 degrees. By the time yo get to zero you will be dead in the water unless you have an excellent fuel treatment. The other issue is power loss. When at John Deere engine school they told us the percentages and I don't recall what they were now but stronger than B10 and it's significant. Always start with the fuel filter(s) on a diesel.

I was going to throw some other possibilities out for consideration but let us know if starting with the simple things works first. The other thing is make sure the battery is fully charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Since it is a diesel engine it wouldn't hurt to put diesel in it. I double checked to make sure the tank didn't smell like gasoline. Gasoline in a diesel will destroy the engine pretty quick.

I do not recognize that quote as being mine. I guess it is paraphrased. Very few stations in our town have the off road. We have to get out of town to find off road diesel.
    Post 17 up above...

I was not able to buy off-road diesel until a new Shell station opened up not far from this house about a year ago after a very long delay in getting up and running. I don't buy gas there...Costco is my drug for that and about twenty cents a gallon less...but the price difference between this off road product and the fully taxed on-road diesel at local stations is noteworthy. They are doing a good business with contractors and other folks who run a lot of diesel equipment and those of us with small diesel powered machines for person use are also able to benefit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Back when I cycled a lot I was amazed by the power a guy on a bike has over a big hot-rod diesel pickup truck. One glimpse of a cyclist and those trucks start running bad and belching thick black smoke. A kind hearted lady driving a Prius has the same power over Diesel hot rod trucks. It makes me laugh but it sure is stinky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is a gas station at a fuel distributor near my previous house that sells off road diesel. I bought a five gallon can of off road diesel once and had to go inside to pay. The price I was charged was the normal taxed price and not the non-taxed price. I asked why the price difference and the clerk said I had to file for a fuel tax refund from the state. I was thinking why the heck am I buying red diesel if I still have to pay tax on it? I don't know of a fuel station near me now that sells off road diesel. I believe I could file for a fuel tax refund for taxed fuel used off road. I would probably get $10 a year back so not worth the paperwork.

I have a diesel generator in my converted bus that could use off road diesel if I installed a separate tank. I don't really have room for another tank and it would take quite a few years to pay for a second fuel tank at $50 a year in savings. They sell refer fuel at truck stops that I don't think is taxed. I have no idea if it is regular diesel fuel from the same tank, or if they have red diesel instead.

Blog Entries
    Back when I cycled a lot I was amazed by the power a guy on a bike has over a big hot-rod diesel pickup truck. One glimpse of a cyclist and those trucks start running bad and belching thick black smoke. A kind hearted lady driving a Prius has the same power over Diesel hot rod trucks. It makes me laugh but it sure is stinky.
    The call that "rolling coal." The fuel system has to be altered to do that. It is something the truck owner doesn't want happening all the time. Only six states have laws making it illegal to "roll coal." Federal law makes it illegal to tamper with emission control equipment.

According to Black's Law Dictionary, simple assault involves attempts to purposefully, knowingly, or recklessly cause bodily injury to another.
    There are legal ways to deal with people who wish to purposely or recklessly assault other people.

I've seen an article on one person who did this regularly having their vehicle confiscated.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We're in big logging country. The oil companies keep fuel trucks on the road going to log decks to fill cutters (feller/bunchers) and loaders every day. I'm sure those guys buy a lot of off road diesel. Back when I was first building our farm here I was buying a fair amount of diesel and they had a standing order to come top my tank off when one of their trucks was out this way. That was nice. For a long time now I don't burn a hundred gallons a year so I have to load it in the back of my truck and haul it to a place in Virginia about 12 miles away to fill it up. More often than not I just take 3 five gallon jugs to fill up with onroad diesel close by.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-12-2024 at 9:01 PM.