Thread: Thanks to Tom King for the TIP

Thanks to Tom King for the TIP

A while back, there was a thread here on SMC about keeping oil based finishes from skimming over in the can. Tom suggested using propane instead of expensive "store bought" products. Today opened a can of Rust-oleum primer that I had done as Tom suggested. Though can was over half empty, there was no skim of paint on top of liquid. Before closing can up, treated it again with propane. Can of gloss black, treated the same way had no skim on top of paint. Propane is heavier than air, so it displaces oxygen in the can. Again. thanks Tom.

I don't think that was me who offered that. I use Argon from the TIG welder or Nitrogen from the HVAC stuff, whichever is handy.

Whoever it was thanks, and thanks to you Bruce and Tom. I use lots of rust-oleum and always has a thick layer on top of half full cans. I will try propane or argon as I have both.

I use argon, but propane would be handier as the welder is in another building. Hmm... Don't be smoking!

I used propane for that years ago. I donít recall how long it was stored before I opened it again to use but it was a long time. The paint had absorbed the smell of the propane. Unpleasant to use but the smell did dissipate after use.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Tip from a friend is to put plastic wrap over the jar,can,bowl first then put the lid on. It keeps gunk out of the seal and threads.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-11-2024 at 10:09 PM.

Sorry, Iím not going to put plastic wrap around my bowels!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leifer View Post
    Sorry, I’m not going to put plastic wrap around my bowels!
    No kidding! There are other things you can do to keep gunk out of your bowels.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.Ē

I use welding gas. The nice thing about that is the regulator is adjustable. Normally kept all the way out so no flow and you can then crank it in just enough to get a soft flow of gas.

The old school method is the car exhaust pipe.
    Bill D