Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When selling items like a bandsaw, or tablesaw I'm hesitant to list my home address

When selling items like a bandsaw, or tablesaw I'm hesitant to list my home address

Craigslist says to meet people you are selling items to in a public venue. Use Craigslist communications instead of giving them your info. What do you do when your selling items so large and heavy it took a truck with a loading gate to put it onto your driveway. it looks to me that in those cases you may have to get the item to your garage and go from there.

Anyone with experience on this is invited to please give me a heads-up on what to do. And I drive a Volvo not an F250.

Thanks in advance.

Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

I've always had people come to where I live, and have not had any problems with that, but of course my situation may be different from other people. I think also that people usually want to see a tool running, and that is not easy away from a plug.

I've never had a problem with buyers coming to my house.

We've also never had a problem showing our rental houses either & over the years we must have had a few hundred people come through.
    There's always a first time though & I'm a firm believer in the 2nd amendment.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I don't publish my home address, but once I've reasonably vetted a potential buyer (at least talked with them on the phone and convinced myself they they are legit) I have them come to the house to see the item. I do try to make sure someone else is home at the time and I've never had even a hint of a problem. For one >$10K cash transaction I had the fellow meet me at the local bank branch. Took the cash and deposited it immediately. It was a truck camper that I then drove up and delivered to his place in New Hampshire.

+1 for Roger's Comment.

Most of Craigslist crimes occur when the seller is lured to a remote location.
    Regards,

Tom

I'm also with Roger and Thomas on this...never publish the information in the clear in public, but at some point...and you have to use your intuition here...the deal needs to get done and a willing buyer with a lot of cash and muscles is going to need to know where to pick the thing up. I don't give out the address until a short period of time before the buyer needs to leave to get to where I live. I'm also not using Craig's List and haven't for years. I'm more comfortable with FB marketplace because many times, buyers interested in the kinds of things I want to unload also have buying/selling history which is difficult to "doctor".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've probably bought 500 items on craigslist over the years, and never had a single problem.

What sort of issues do you anticipate or feel the need to avoid? I can see if you had a collection of gold bars, you might not want to advertise that, but a bandsaw? Drive down any residential neighborhood and I bet there are several garages with bandsaws in them. What does it matter if someone knows your address and that you have a bandsaw to sell?

Thanks all for the comments. I feel a lot better about having someone come to the house. I agree with talking to them first. My son has sold several cars and experienced some shaky calls and requests. He told me that it was pretty obvious to him when that happened. Thanks again, Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

After talking on the phone, I have them come to the house, and have had good luck, met several nice woodworkers. As mentioned above, would you want to buy a table saw or router without being able to run it?

Common sense applies of course. My one iffy encounter was years ago when I was selling my SIL's car after he went in the Air Force. Guy wanted to buy it, made appt. to see it at 8 PM. He didn't show up until after 10 PM, brought out a bag of cash, and didn't even want to take it for a drive. I felt pretty uneasy and told him I would meet him at the bank in the morning. He agreed, then left. Never saw him again...suspect it was drug money or ??
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Some good advice here, I never publish my address in a ad, never any meetings after dark and our local police station has a public place in the parking lot for meet ups if needed.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

When meeting somewhere MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CORRECT DESCRIPTION. Nothing like driving two hours away to buy something and can't find the gas station. Only to finally get the person to answer their cell phone and find out it changed brand names over three years ago BUT all the locals know where it is. BTDT
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    When meeting somewhere MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CORRECT DESCRIPTION. Nothing like driving two hours away to buy something and can't find the gas station. Only to finally get the person to answer their cell phone and find out it changed brand names over three years ago BUT all the locals know where it is. BTDT
    Ron
    Went with my brother to look at a a tractor in Oregon. Go down the road and turn right where the school used to be. He did not believe me when I said I think that used to be a school. He went back and turned right instead of left after I was gone a few days. He did not buy it, dead battery, would not start. He eventually bought used from a dealer who delivered.
    Bill D
    BilL D

When I sell a Ferrari I don't list my address, but for tools what the heck?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    What does it matter if someone knows your address and that you have a bandsaw to sell?
    Bandsaw, maybe not the problem, but if they get a look inside and see the TS, other BS, mortiser, lathe and many more. Then it could become a problem

Whatever you do, just be cautious

I grab the license plate info and car/truck description for anyone that comes to see the tools. If a theft occurs shortly thereafter, you can give the police a possible starting point.