Thread: Garden hose nozzle type and recommendations

Garden hose nozzle type and recommendations

I am looking for a better way to water the gardens here. I've been using one of those cheap multi-setting nozzles, but on 'flood' it has a bit more pressure than I want, as it erodes the soil around the plants. On 'shower' it only puts out about half the water flow. I remember seeing a big flat sprinkling head on a hose being used at a plant nursery, and have been trying to search for one online but don't know the right name to call it. Or maybe there is a better way that I don't know about. My goal is to be able to apply water as rapidly as possible at low pressure and without having just a single stream, like from a hose with no nozzle, as that washes away the dirt too. I'll be grateful for any advice. I have used sprinklers, soaker hoses and drip irrigation at the farm where I used to live, but here it will work best to hand apply the water given the layout and small overall areas to be watered.

When I was a kid, my dad used a “bubbler.” Just Google “soaker nozzle” and you’ll see those and also the shower heads.

Look at "drip line irrigation" There are lots of complete systems available for most any size need. It's also a great to apply fertilizer throughout the growing season.
    I buy from the good folks at - https://www.berryhilldrip.com/ but Amazon has several offerings also.

It's definitely a water saving way to water plants.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    It depends on how much you want to put into watering equipment.

For adjustable spray pattern this is my go to attachment.

Fulton Adjustable Garden Nozzle.jpg

Of course this one is an antique that still works as well as any of this type.

To control the flow these are the best I have been able to find > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...lve?item=AL220

All of my hoses have a valve and quick connect at their ends to change configurations and watering accessories with ease.

Also check Lee Valley for > water wand < One is listed with an on and off trigger. Not sure if it can be set to be on unattended.

For a fixed spray these are my favorites.

Fogg It Misting Nozzle.jpg

They can be purchased separately. One of mine is a 1/4 GPM which is great for seedlings in our greenhouse. Candy often uses the 4 GPM with the valve turned down. I've been using these for over 20 years and still love them for much of my watering needs. Even have one wide angle 2 GPM on a watering stake to hold it vertical for watering an area unattended. I haven't seen one of those listed for a long time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

perhaps you're looking for a watering "wand" like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12345-C..._source=1&th=1
    < insert spurious quote here >

Fan nozzle? They tend to plug up with any little grit in the water
    Bill D

This kind does not plug
    https://www.amazon.com/Dramm-22311-H...3&gad_source=1
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-09-2024 at 7:24 PM.

I have one of these and it work well: https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-26149-S.../dp/B0C831B5NM The adjustment is particularly useful.

As Bill points out, this style can clog if your water is dirty, but I have a filter after my irrigation pump and so far haven't had an issue with clogging.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thank you all for your help. I'm hoping to get to 4 GPM or so without enough pressure to wash away the dirt, so I think the bubbler or fan types should work well. I am familiar with drip irrigation but don't want to spend that much money or the time to set it up, and we have a lot of scattered herb and flower areas that would not be very practical for that. Water conservation is not much of a thing here, we are surrounded by lakes and rivers and get a lot of precipitation every year, just not always in a steady enough way to keep the plants at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leifer View Post
    When I was a kid, my dad used a “bubbler.” Just Google “soaker nozzle” and you’ll see those and also the shower heads.
    Yep, that is the ticket! That is what my used to use when I was a kid. She still uses it!

Or you could use the setup from the "Bought A Water Pump" thread...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.