Thread: Diameter of this Epilog Fusion Edge CO2 laser?

Diameter of this Epilog Fusion Edge CO2 laser?

I'm using my local maker's space Epilog Fusion Edge 24 CO2 cutting laser to cut pieces out of 1/8" Basswood plywood and I'm trying to figure out how much material it will remove. I'm assuming the diameter of the laser is about what it will remove if cutting a straight line. Here's the info I found on the company website. Is that 10.6 micrometers the laser diameter or wavelength?

laser.jpg
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by brad hays View Post
    I'm using my local maker's space Epilog Fusion Edge 24 CO2 cutting laser to cut pieces out of 1/8" Basswood plywood and I'm trying to figure out how much material it will remove. I'm assuming the diameter of the laser is about what it will remove if cutting a straight line. Here's the info I found on the company website. Is that 10.6 micrometers the laser diameter or wavelength?

laser.jpg
    10.6 micrometers is the wavelength of the laser. The easiest way to figure out the kerf of the laser is to do something like create a 10mm square in your design software, and cut it out. Then measure that square with some digital calipers to figure out how much smaller it is than the original 10mm and divide that number in half. That will tell you what the kerf is (Diameter of the beam)
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

The Louisiana hobby guy has a test file to determine kerf. Just remember the kerf is different for each type of material you are lasering. There are other test files available online as well.