Thread: Amazon Reviews

Amazon Reviews

First let me disclose that I'm an Amazon Vine member, which means I write reviews of products that I ordered. I choose my items based on need, meaning something that I will actually use. Most of my reviews are five star because I did my research and ordered the best item for the job. I have also done some less than stellar reviews of a couple items. What grips me is asking for a review before or on day of delivery. How can you review something you don't have, or haven't used yet? Most items, I review within a week of receipt, as I have put them to use. As a Vine member, I'm required to review 60% of items received. I keep a running list of items reviewed. Today received an Email telling me that I had several items waiting review, all of which I had already reviewed. Checking item page, found my reviews already in place, but to keep Vine status, did another review. Most reviewed, or answered item ever is our Fleck water softener. Most of time my answer to questioner is "Contact the Seller." You also get question, does this fit my (fill in the blank,) even though description says it DOESN'T fit you model. Some just can't read!

My pet peeve is people who give items a 5 star review just because it arrived on time undamaged but acknowledge they haven't taken it out of the box yet. I rarely post reviews mainly because by the time I've used it long enough to do a meaningful review I've forgotten. It's also annoying when people answer questions in a way that shows they didn't understand the question, your advice to contact the seller is probably the best answer in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    My pet peeve is people who give items a 5 star review just because it arrived on time undamaged but acknowledge they haven't taken it out of the box yet. I rarely post reviews mainly because by the time I've used it long enough to do a meaningful review I've forgotten. It's also annoying when people answer questions in a way that shows they didn't understand the question, your advice to contact the seller is probably the best answer in most cases.
    The Converse of your situation is people who give an item a One Star Review because it arrived late (tho' undamaged).
    Which, of course, still tells the reader absolutely nothing about the item itself.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.Ē

Yeah, I think part of the problem is the wording of the request for the review. As I recall, Amazon asks "How would you rate your purchase" not "How would you rate the product you purchased".

Like with pretty much everything else on line you need to apply some non-artificial intelligence for the reviews to have value. The good news is that there's often useful data buried in the reviews, the bad news is that you need to breeze through the chaff to get to it. These days I pretty much only write reviews when I have something of value to contribute, either when a product outperforms or when it is particularly bad or stupid in design or execution.

You need to read the reviews and pick out pieces of information. I ignore many of the reviews as they are total nonsense. However, typically, you can find some reviews that are on target. The more expensive the item, the more I will go thru the reviews. I find one and two star reviews most interesting as you can sometimes figure out problems with an item.

There are two different types of reviews that Amazon requests...the first is all about the delivery. On time if not Amazon fulfilled? Response of vendor if you experienced an issue, etc. Product as described? The second is an actual product review. I only get requests for the former. If I want to review the actual project, I have to access it and then do the review.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As for how was delivery, it depends. Amazon direct, OK, USPS to us is also OK. But USPS to neighbor across street, not so good. We have a large area to turn around in, but neighbor's require backing out into street with very limited sight distance, and heavy traffic, so their packages go under mailbox at street. Fed UP, I mean Fed Ex deliveries are a totally different story. Last Fed Ex delivery was a set of tires that they left on neighbors front stoop. House number sign is withing ten feet of delivery point. Drivers either can't read, or are too lazy to drive further up driveway to second house, which also has house number.

Sorry if others donít see it this way, but I have stopped reading the reviews. Too many seem to just be promoting products. I have seen too many instances of someone pointing out a problem with the product followed by another review praising the exact thing that was just criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    My pet peeve is people who give items a 5 star review just because it arrived on time undamaged but acknowledge they haven't taken it out of the box yet.
    Could be worse: I saw a couple lately that had 5-star ratings followed by text along the line of,
    "This <whatever> is junk! Save your money and buy a different brand!!".

Put those in the "unclear on the concept" file.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Sorry if others don’t see it this way, but I have stopped reading the reviews. Too many seem to just be promoting products. I have seen too many instances of someone pointing out a problem with the product followed by another review praising the exact thing that was just criticized.
    While I agree many of the reviews are useless, without the reviews, you have only the seller's word and brand reputation to go on. I look for brands I know, which is often not possible, and a consensus of multiple reviews. Even a 3 star rating based on 1000 reviews carries more weight than a 5 star rating based on 5 reviews. It is comical when you see one review which is 100% the opposite of another review for the same product. "It's too loud/it's amazingly quiet" but if 100 reviews all mention it is noisy, it probably is.

Lots of possible flaws in the reviewing but it sure beats having no reviews for what you are interested in.

I think Amazon reviews are great- you have to interpret but very valuable. I review quite a lot, including for things that I did not purchase through Amazon.

Youtube comments, OTOH, have become a worthless mess of treacle.

I try as hard as I can to offer actual useful reviews. So, for example, how does a product function? How does it compare to competitors, etc.

I sort of get frustrated by a million "Everything is Awesome," reviews mixed with the 1-star product reviews because of late delivery or damaged packaging. I am especially flummoxed when something has a zillion 5-star reviews then turns out to be a turd. Beautiful, super modern looking no-name Chinese rice cookers are a perfect example. They are beautiful. They perfectly color coordinate with everything in the kitchen, have sleek lines, but they only cook rice 2-ways: Mush or burnt. Then, they have a non-immersible body containing a built in vent system which has 50 moving parts and must be completely disassembled and hand washed each time it is used. The thing is TRASH, yet it has 12,500 5-star reviews.

Even a 3 star rating based on 1000 reviews carries more weight than a 5 star rating based on 5 reviews.
    One of the first things I consider when considering reviews is number and spelling/grammar of the writer. Number of reviews must exceed by a substantial margin the number of friends and relatives a seller is likely to have. I think I recall that there was a service that wrote 'reviews' for a fee. I figure there's a fair chance the people writing those reviews are non-native English speakers. There are of course legit reviews written by non-native English speakers but it's another filter.