Thread: Surefire Way to Find Something Lost

Blog Entries

Surefire Way to Find Something Lost

At the end of last summer the riding mower was put away for the winter.

Last week when wanting to get it out for seasonal cutting of the tall grass, the key couldn't be found. Since on this model one key fits them all, a new one was ordered. Mention was made to Candy that as soon as the new key arrives, the old one will turn up.

Sure enough, after finding a ring and fob for the new key the old one made itself known.

Well, at least it wasn't expensive and now there are two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We have the same phenomenon at our house.

I have kids at the house... Sometimes I get lucky, but sometimes gone is gone. The other week, I found the spare front door key out in the lawn while walking the dog. Last night, I found the gas cap for the lawnmower gas can in the gravel behind the shop. A month ago, I found the TV remote in the freezer beside a box of ice cream treats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sure enough, after finding a ring and fob for the new key the old one made itself known.

jtk
    Them's the rules!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I have kids at the house... Sometimes I get lucky, but sometimes gone is gone. The other week, I found the spare front door key out in the lawn while walking the dog. Last night, I found the gas cap for the lawnmower gas can in the gravel behind the shop. A month ago, I found the TV remote in the freezer beside a box of ice cream treats.
    Did the remote still work?
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.

Blog Entries
    I have kids at the house...
    As one who has been there, it is a well known phenomena that kids in the house changes all the rules ever known or to be known by Man.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have lots of spares. The lost whatever is found when I decide on a place to put the new one. That's always exactly where I put the last one.

stuff seems to dissapear all the time. Tons of shop stuff and hard to manage it all for a few reasons. Years back I took the back seat out of one of my old cars and found a ring with an green stone in it. I called the last owner and asked and he said no not his. Too hard to trace past owners. I took the ring and hung it on a piece of fishing line. My old neighbours were away but I had a key so I hung the ring over her sink. Turned out it was an Emerald and she had wanted one her whole life.

My worst loss was this special pry bar someone gave me. It did tons of work moving machines and more then gone. I think it was four years later doing another roof section and it fell out of the soffit. It was my neighbour who found it in a Mugo Pine.

My neighbours gave me a cub cadet ride on mower. I lost the key and bought two more, they laughed and said you can use any key or a screwdriver. I have the keys but start it with the key from the Saturn just cause it works.

Years ago I bought an expensive saw blade from a Black and Decker outlet store the bldae only cost me $15 but to get it from any place else it was $150 this is back in 1990. I put it on a cabinet and didn't think about it for some time when I went to get it it was gone. I thought maybe it fell behind the cabney so I move the cabnet out about an inch and looked no go. I needed it so I went and bought a new blade and just marked it up as gone. A couple years later I decided to paint that room and when I moved the cabinet out the blade was setting on the back spreader.

This picture was taken just before I finally found the long lost, special, long barrel, wing nut that holds the blade guard on the antique radial arm saw. I am glad I scooped that pile up with a 6 inch drywall knife rather than a shovel.

DSCN0335.jpg

Quickest way to find lost item is to buy a non returnable replacement. Works every time for me.

The opposite of losing something you need is finding something you don't need (or don't think you need). I once found a black plastic cap on the garage floor. I put it on a shelf, but never found anything it went to and finally threw it away. The next year, I changed the wiper blades on my SUV and saw that the cap covering the bolt attaching the rear wiper arm to the motor shaft was missing. I must have raised that tailgate a hundred times and never noticed it! It's still capless...

After we moved in 2000, there was a box of stuff that had a little toothed belt in it. It was too small for a vacuum cleaner but I had no idea what it was for and, after holding onto to it for about five years, threw it out. Don't you know, it was a spare drive belt for the AEG belt sander I bought in 1987. Parts have long been unavailable, so I'm kicking myself now.

Blog Entries
    Another experience with something thought lost was soon found.

When going to town, it is common for me to carry some paper and pen in my shirt pocket. When we got home, my pen was not in my pocket. Thinking it may have been lost somewhere we stopped was a little upsetting. It was one of my favorite pens, a Dr. Grip. About thirty years ago when one was misplaced another was purchased. The original was discovered under my car seat shortly thereafter. Anyway, a search of my truck was done and turned up nothing. A few days later when getting in my truck, pulling out the seatbelt presented my pen on the seatbelt. Apparently when removing my seatbelt the last time the belt snatched it from my pocket.

jtk