Thread: D day

D day

I was thinking about my neighbours brother who landed on Juno beach 80 years ago and as a sniper somehow made it through the years and returned home. He wrote a small book and I had borrowed a copy and scanned it. Detunned for us. I was told his daughter is okay talking about it and id like to do that and hear all he shared with her.

80 years later today watched a bit of you tube on Ukraine and drones were taking out tanks as well as people one by one. Bizarre. The technology advanced, people havent in some ways.

The Son of a D Day survivor gave a talk and showed his Dads slides & memorabilia at our Historical Society yesterday. I wanted to attend but had to work. There are very few of those Gentlemen left. I had the honor of knowing a few. Most would not talk much about their experiences. One client had parachuted in on D Day and would tell stories while I worked around their place. If I stoped working or made eye contact he would change the subject. I always allowed extra time for their projects with the hope that a few stories would be forthcoming.

-Maurice

Blog Entries
    Yesterday my day started early. While making and enjoying my morning coffee the TV was tuned to the remembrance ceremonies in Normandy, France.

One of the veterans was 103. He said this was going to be his last landing in Normandy.

The program was very moving. A lot of historical images and film was shown.

A Youtube video caught my eye about Robert Kelso because I live in Longview-Kelso, Washington. They are actually two separate cities, but they have considered merging into one. He has no relation to the naming of Kelso, WA of which I know.

Bob Kelso was 6' tall at the end of the seventh grade. He was 13 but no one questioned his age when he signed up. He is also the youngest recipient of a Purple Heart. When he was injured, the truth of his age was revealed and he was discharged on medical grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooK6lY-ea20

Bob Kelso died last year.

We must teach our children and grandchildren to remember the sacrifices made for us to live free.

All gave some, some gave all.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was afraid to ask Jim. I did bring it up one time and he said it was a different time. I will follow up with his daughter.

I have a photo of my grandfather back in England during the war. I asked my mom what happened there as my father was born in Toronto. Now I want to know how old my grandfather was when he went back to be part of that. My mom knew nothing. My grandfather once said they had no food in the war and had to eat flies. As a kid in my teens I just looked at him and figured he was pulling my leg. There was often a glint in his eyes. He asked me what I thought about the political situation in Quebec and as a kid with a motorcycle I didnt know or care. still dont.

Cher was right "if I could turn back time". My grandfather would have talked lots. Now at this antique age its stupid to think back how stupid i was not to ask a ton of questions about the war and all about it and overall. I knew he was an engineer and told he was a very good boxer. thats tough stuff.

I had a german lady friend past and her father was a parachute guy. he got captured and taken to the US and prisoner of war they gave him an education. Back in Wolfsburg he was an engineer at Volkswagon. He would talked about the war lots and I didnt feel right to ask, me stupid again, her parents were just outstanding kind nice people and she told me later he talked lots about the war with his friends.

If I could do it again id have taped the old german from 1981 when he taught us. That man lived two lives in one. Survived both German and Russian prison camps and some really bad stuff in those places. He was also some of the Germans that had their land taken away and moved to another area. If I was smart id have taped him constantly over the years. He was wisest man ive ever met. saddens me to think I could have documented him and his life. More so now im older and 30 times more inquisitive about all things, he would have had non stop questions.

we have lots to be thankful for.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-07-2024 at 1:35 PM.

Just watching this, my neighbours brother was in the Queens Own Rifles of Canada that landed in Juno. Attached a page from his book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyl-zzTIpAU

img937.jpg

I graduated from high school on June 6th, 1966, the 22nd anniversary of D-Day. Now we have observed the 80th anniversary. Where did the years go?

Farewell Walter. He was the last of the WWII Veterans I knew. Mom and Dad attended the funeral.

Walter Faulconer was born on May 25, 1926, the second of two sons born to Jack and Mildred (Mowery) Faulconer in Tama County, Iowa on his grandparents' farm north of Toledo. Fred and Walter lived with their grandparents until Jack and Mildred were able to buy a farm near Blakesburg in 1937. They moved to Lucas County in 1942 to a farm in Benton Township.
    Walter graduated from Chariton High School in 1943. He enlisted in the Army in 1944 and served in the Philippine Islands, then in Post-War Japan, and returned home in late 1946. He farmed with his parents for a few years.
    Walter met Caroline O'Dell in early 1949. They were married on September 30, 1949, and lived in Des Moines for about 1 ˝ years, while Walter worked for Sutherland Lumber Co. Daughter Linda was born on November 14, 1950. They bought a farm in Lucas County near Walter's parents in March 1951. Walter and Caroline lived there until moving to Chariton in 2003. Walter continued to work on the farm for several years helping our renters until 2019.
    Walter was a longtime member of Sunny Slope Church of Christ near Promise City, Iowa. He was able to go on an Honor Flight to Washington, D.C. in 2010 and really enjoyed the trip.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-23-2024 at 9:39 PM. Reason: caps

Rest in Peace Mr. Faulconer.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I did a project for Mr. Faulconer's neighbors around 2009. He came over and helped all day every day for a week. He refused to be paid as long as there was a home cooked lunch. The project was for my Aunt and Uncle. My cousin was teaching English as a second language in Japan at that time. Walter grumbled a few times wondering why anyone would want to go to Japan. I am sure he had his reasons. At 83 he worked as hard as any of us. Often he worked much smarter than any of us. Rest In Peace Mr. Faulconer.

In the fall of 2001, shortly after 9-11, my wife and I were spending a weekend at a small French hotel with a view of St Micheal. On Friday night there was an American family seated near us,. a couple in their early fifties, two almost college teens and an old gent I guessed to be in his late 70s. While at dinner, it came out that the gent was 82nd Airborne and his son and family were taking him to see his personal battlefields in Normandy and Holland. Once it became known that he was 82nd, the family's money was no good at the bar, and additional wine and after dinner drinks magically appeared.

We and the family were still at the hotel for dinner on Sat night. It became difficult for the family to eat as bottles of wine kept appearing on the table and an almost continuous line of old French men and women showing up offering their thanks to the old gent for his service. One old woman told them and then us that the 82nd had liberated her village on her 12th birthday.

We think that they forget, but they don't.

I didn't know anyone who landed on the beaches that day, but knew a number of other WWII participants. My best friend's Father was a Bombardier in a full tour in a B-17. He never wanted to talk about it.

I also had an Uncle you was a Ball Turret Gunner in a B-17. He was a very small guy, so I guess that's why he got that job. He also did a full tour. There was a 60% mortality rate of Ball Turret Gunners. He said being small saved his life a number of times. I asked him how many German fighters he shot down and he said he lost track. I commented that he had saved countless lives, to which his answer was that you don't think about it like that. He was wounded a number of times but never seriously. I asked him what did "serious" mean and he said losing enough blood that it mattered.

His most memorable bombing run was one with heavy flak where they overshot the target, had to go around and make another run at it.

Both of these guys had Purple Hearts and other medals.

I had an old carpenter working for me in the 1980's who had been a gunner of one of the big guns on a battleship. He couldn't hear a thing out of the ear that was next to the gun.

My Wife's Father was a Medic on a troop transport ship that went back and forth across the Atlantic countless times. After the war was over on that side of the world he served in the Pacific. He was also the ships photographer. When the treaty was being signed on the Yorktown, his ship was tied up next to the Yorktown. The photographer on the Yorktown was out of chemicals and came over to use Allie's darkroom. FIL made some copies from the original negatives that you see the pictures of the signing of the surrender.

We also have a stack of other such original important pictures, including one of the Enola Gay taking off from Tinian island. He said no one knew what the mission was, but scuttlebutt said it was something big.

Jim got knocked out hit by shrapnel. Mel is there supposed to be a comma after out? They were taking him to the hospital but he said no he wanted to got back to stay with the same group of guys. Grew up on their farm and with their father building homes. Seems a number of the custom home builders around here all worked for the father at one time or another.