Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extension cord ties

Extension cord ties

This is a bit behind the curve, with cordless tools taking over, but I have not come up with a good cord tie after decades and many attempts for extension cords and longer power cords.
    What I've tried:
    - velcro ties, multiple kinds
    - bicycle inner tube
    - inner tube rubber strips
    - string, tied on to the cord end
    - cord, tied on to the cord end
    - Various rubber bands
    - weatherstripping bulb rubber
    - Bongo ties
    - Shock cord loops
    - shock cork wired onto the cord end
    - leather strips
    - Shock cord loops with plastic balls, couple of sizes
    - Stretchy rubber special cord tie stuff
    - electrical wire
    - zip ties
    - tape
    - plastic cord lock things
    - elastic strips
    - strips of romex housing
    - rubber vacuum tubing
    - telephone wire
    - surgical tubing
    - other rubber tubing
    - commercial rubber ties with plastic buttons

I favor cords in well trained loops, & consider daisy chain to be cord abuse. Hard to see example, and coiled cord prepped for use:

IMG_5049.jpegIMG_4606.jpeg

Any other suggestions?

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgLEBU&adurl=

These work good but take up a little more room.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

used these Lee Valley things for many years. Never had one break or be a bother

3.JPG P1210369A.jpg

Blog Entries
    I spliced some eyes (loops) in each end of short pieces of nylon line (rope). I run the line around the coiled cord and run one-eyed through the other and then hang the cord on a nail or hook. When I use the extension cord I attach the double eyed piece around the cord near the plug end so it stays with the cord and is easy to find when I'm done.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use a velcro ties intended for garden hose I think 11 inches long and has a slot to keep the strap attached to the cord. This extension cord is 12 ga. 100'. The trick is to make untwisted loops, it's all in the wrist. Sorta.

For smaller cables (like on my multi tool) I use these, meant for music cables:

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac.../cable-ties-1/

For me, the trick is not owning a bunch of extension cords and keeping them short. The more cords you own, the harder it is to store them. And I try to buy them as short as I can get away with. I'll even make my own, if necessary. The longer the cord, the harder it is to coil, and the more likely you are to twist them. Also, buy good quality cords. They not only last longer, but don't get twisted as easily. Twisting them is what ruins them. That, and rolling things over them.

Typically, I just place them on a hook or lay them flat when not in use. If a cord gets badly kinked or twisted, I throw it away (or cut it short). I'm not going to collect extension cords I don't want to use. And since I rarely use more than two at a time, I don't need many. But I did run a music studio for a while, and thus I own probably close to 100 XLR and 1/4" cables of varying lengths, and I like to keep them coiled up and secured with velcro straps to keep them separated. Again, the trick is to keep them as short as possible. Not just for losses in signal strength, but also because if the cord gets twisted, it's easier to untwist it when you coil it, the shorter it is.

Extension cords are one of those things that the more you have, the more you'll need, because damage them more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    used these Lee Valley things for many years. Never had one break or be a bother

3.JPG P1210369A.jpg

This kind is probably the most successful that I've used, but they sometimes break of fall off. Great idea numbering the cord ends.

the four cords there were originally two., They came to me as two 50 footers. Felt like they weighed more than I did so chop chop. four 25's works fine.

Those cords are a joy to use. They dont even understand how badly they could misbehave, its not in their thought pattern.

Had a studio as well and miles of cables and input boxes on walls and snake for live PA and weeks of wiring to the 20 channel console and mic cables and and and, nother life past.

I gave up decades ago and just do without.

I use these, but mostly for travelling for things like USB cords, etc... but they do have larger versions. Really like them.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gearties+...s_ts-doa-p_3_7
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I just take a foot or so of an appropriately-sized cord (that's a thick string or light rope, not a power cord) and tie it at the plug end of the power cord with a clove hitch in the middle. That leaves the 2 ends to wrap around the coiled cord and tie with a square knot. Less trouble than almost anything else, although velcro isn't bad.

Ive found no grief at all from the lee things.

I use cable cuffs. Even Harbor Freight has a version. https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-...iABEgL6ffD_BwE

Blog Entries
    I don’t like messing with long cords. I’m too lazy to cut them all and put on plugs so I just put up with them. The exception is my belt sander. I was doing a bunch of work and my wife kindly offered to help. About thirty seconds later a breaker popped. The cord went up into the sander. It now has an 18” cord which I kind of like. She did the same thing with a corded electric hedge trimmer.

I never said a thing about it. We just worked the problem. Her mistakes are my mistakes too and have been for nearly 48 years.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 06-08-2024 at 5:39 PM.