Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Results of Estate sale tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I saw an announcement in the local paper for one. I was there when it opened. The old boy that had died was a tool collector. He probably had 150 planes alone. An auctioneer sold off everything, mostly in small bundled lots. I picked up a couple very clean Millers Falls planes (#4 and #4 1/2 size) as well as some other odds and ends. The score of the day was this clean Starrett Square set. I think I gave $20.

Wow, nice score.

Maybe when I'm retired I can focus on estate sales. As a full time employee, I don't have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    So I looked up p21s online (I've not tried it) and I see it's normally used as an automotive wax (which is fine). How is it better than say a straight bar of carnauba wax? Also, what other waxes have you tried that you can compare this with (for better or worse)?
    I was going to say that it's much easier to apply and remove than a straight bar of carnauba, but it still seems to last about as long and offer about as much protection. It has around the same consistency as most other paste waxes I've used, perhaps slightly thicker and harder, but nothing like a straight bar of carnauba or paraffin.

But finding out it contains silicone, I probably won't be using it on wood anymore. That's a shame. I really liked that stuff.

I didn't know that P21S had silicone in it. I guess I just glanced at the ingredients and didn't see the word "silicone" and thought it was alright. That's on me for not doing the proper research.

Well, thanks for the heads up, Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Wow, nice score.

Maybe when I'm retired I can focus on estate sales. As a full time employee, I don't have a chance.
    As I recall I took a day off. I have problems burning accrued vacation days and thought it might be a great mental health day. It was. Breakfast out, auction score, day in the shop cleaning and sharpening, a couple bourbons on the deck, no thoughts of work, a nice dinner with my bride. In other words perfect. I retire at the end of the year and am looking forward to more days like that.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 06-07-2024 at 5:00 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Why was the estate sale pretty picked over? Were you not aware of the sale until most of it was gone? Or, maybe the "good stuff" went to select people who have early access?

These estate sales are big mystery to me. My mom and dad recently sold just about everything that was in their home through an online estate sale. A local company in Arkansas came to their house to photograph and catalogue everything. Then it went up on some web site. Almost all their stuff sold quickly and at very low prices. But I have to admit, I wasn't interested in any of it. I strongly suspect almost every buyer was a reseller; flea market vendors, used furniture stores, e-Bay stores, etc.

I just looked online for estate sales in my area. I saw a lot of cheap furniture. There were some antique furniture pieces, but I would have no idea what the value would be on those; or if they really were antiques. I saw some riding mowers, but who knows if they run correctly? The only power tools I saw were a bunch of cordless drills. There was exactly one woodworking tool. It was a Craftsman miter saw.

I sometimes hear people say they got some amazing woodworking tools at great prices at an estate sale. How does one do this? I'm wondering if the system is rigged for dealers as it is with car auctions.
    Hi Pat.
    I didn’t find out about the sale until late, so it was picked over.

As far as how one finds bargains at estate sales, I think some of that is just luck (eg, I stumble on to a sale) and some of it is probably effort and vigilance (constantly checking sale sites like Marketplace, etc).
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    As I recall I took a day off. I have problems burning accrued vacation days and thought it might be a great mental health day. It was. Breakfast out, auction score, day in the shop cleaning and sharpening, a couple bourbons on the deck, no thoughts of work, a nice dinner with my bride. In other words perfect. I retire at the end of the year and am looking forward to more days like that.
    Retirement and bourbons on the deck.............................2 of my favorite things!

...picked up a couple very clean Millers Falls planes (#4 and #4 1/2 size) as well as some other odds and ends. The score of the day was this clean Starrett Square set. I think I gave $20.

Good taste in tools!
    If you got the hinged 2pc cap irons, that is especially good - those planes are very similar to contemporary Stanleys, and yet so much better constructed.

I don't use my flea-market Starrett combo squares much, but it is fun to have them when useful.

Nice scores.

smt