Thread: Breaking in a New Ball glove

Breaking in a New Ball glove

I’ve been through this a few times for myself, the kids and now the Grands mitts. There really isn’t a substitute for just playing with a new glove, but these things today are almost impossible to bend. Dick’s “breaks them in” for you but today’s gloves are overstuffed. The padding in the pocket has to be 1/2” thick at least. The ball bounces out before you can catch it. I can’t bend the kids gloves. I’ve treated them with Glove oil repeatedly, keep a ball tied in the mitt but now I take my old Eastwood 2.5” tear-drop hammer to it beating them like I mean it, again and again. They are coming around but holy smokes.
    On another line it seems impossible to tell and 8 or 10 yr old to catch with two hands.

Couple thoughts:

1. Old gloves on ebay. You have a decent chance finding one in great condition that you can break in.

2. My method is a strong coat of Nokona cream, tied with a ball in the pocket and placed under the water bed. Couple days and it is molded.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I’ve been through this a few times for myself, the kids and now the Grands mitts. There really isn’t a substitute for just playing with a new glove, but these things today are almost impossible to bend. Dick’s “breaks them in” for you but today’s gloves are overstuffed. The padding in the pocket has to be 1/2” thick at least. The ball bounces out before you can catch it. I can’t bend the kids gloves. I’ve treated them with Glove oil repeatedly, keep a ball tied in the mitt but now I take my old Eastwood 2.5” tear-drop hammer to it beating them like I mean it, again and again. They are coming around but holy smokes.
    On another line it seems impossible to tell and 8 or 10 yr old to catch with two hands.
    That sounds like some expensive, high quality gloves.

All the kid gloves (under say 10 year olds) I've bought have been quite soft right out of the gate. Even the Rawlings gloves that I and my kids use now (Around a $150 glove) only needed the glove oil spray and use. One tip with the soft gloves and sensitive kid hands is to have them wear their batting glove inside their mitt. The only player who cannot do this is the pitcher.

Dick's does offer steaming with new purchases, and for a fee on not-new gloves. I would do that if your glove is still too stiff.

Tie the glove to a string and hang from a tree limb then hit it with a bat for awhile.
    Let me know if this works

I have one of Yogi Berra's catchers mitts. Pretty sure it is broken in by now.

“You can observe a lot just by watching.”
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

About 70 years ago when I was playing ball 5 and 6 days a week I saved my money and bought a Rawlings pro glove. It was a dream as ball gloves go. I put a baseball in it tied it up securely and soaked it overnight in a bucket of water. After it dried I massaged it thoroughly with neatsfoot oil and it was good until stolen a few years later.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Working on my grandson's glove right now. When I was a kid, we used 3-in-1 oil as that was about all we had access to. Watching him play makes me miss those days.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Way back I got a Rawlings glove and it really didn't need much breaking in. I just used it so much it that was all I had to do. we would play ball all day long

I still have my second glove. My First which I played LL and more for a few years was a Warren Spahn Rawlings. Loved that glove, but my friends dog not only ate my homework but my glove as well In ‘74 I bought a nice Dave Parker model Rawlings which I still have and take care of. Some of the ties are beginning to dry rot a bit, but the kids both want it when they can hold it. Next time you are in a sporting goods store take a minute and check out the mitts. I just went at both gloves today with Glove Oil the hammer, put a ball in it and shrink wrapped it tight. I’ll give them a week or so and see how things are progressing. I am gaining on them.