Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Router questions

ive had good luck with the big porter cables

Blog Entries
    I have the BOSCH 1617EVSPK Wood 12 Amp Router Tool Combo Kit - 2.25 Horsepower Plunge Router & Fixed Base with a Variable Speed in one of my router tables and I am well pleased with it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    ive had good luck with the big porter cables
    No longer available for many years now.

-----
    OP, I agree that the Craftsman router you have appears to be "the same" (take that lightly since some specs might be different) as the Bosch 1617 based on photos posted so far. That should be helpful for sourcing some or all parts.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-01-2024 at 7:19 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you need the switch, this should be the one you need: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/on...h-p-57795.html
    - Mike

router table images

Here are some images, not sure why they always seem to turn out sideways, I apologize. I assume he built this table from the woodworker magazine plans. I have lots of questions maybe some of you can help me with if it is ok to share more images here. Is there a limit on pictures? This cabinet has every drawer loaded with tons of stuff with the router, a lot which I am not sure about, I would appreciate some input. Someone mentioned to make sure I have a router if I get a different one that will work with the set up and base, are they not interchangeable, I included a inside table where the router mounts in, the craftsman base with wooden knobs is still there, I believe height is adjusted above the table with a bit, not sure though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe I found the exact replacement power switch, I removed the one on the router and took images and here is what I found online at a place called switch channel. I guess it is worth a try, it has to be a bad switch, not sure what else it could be except maybe the speed control knob, I am leaning more towards the power switch, is it worth fixing? I think it is worth a try.
    I have another question about another older router, it is a RYOBI RE-600 3HP router, anyone here have any thoughts on if this would be a good second hand router? The older Ryobi like this model router was made in Japan which I believe to be good quality. I recently bought a RYOBI 12" chop saw( made in Japan) it was from the same era as all the tools I am buying from her. Her husband has developed dementia and no longer has use for all his well cared for older tools. I got the router table with router, grizzly G1022PRO TS, and a Rockler 650CFM wall mount dust collector .
    Attached Images Attached Images

So your saying the router I have that is badged a Craftsman Professional has the guts of a Bosch?

The router you have is a Bosch 1617 EVS made by Bosch and sold as a Craftsman with Craftsman colors and markings. I had one myself. When my switch gave trouble I blew it out good and reassembled. I never used the router switch again but an external switch on my home built router table. I gave the router table and router away last year but as far as I know it still works fine. Your brushes look good. If you can get the switch functioning again and I would think you could after blowing it out well. Sawdust infiltration is a common issue on these otherwise excellent routers. I would add an external on/off switch for turning it on. Just my 2 cents worth.

One thing about Craftsman tools (AFAIK). The model number will be 3 digits . more digits. The first three digits will be the OEM. Here is an example:

http:// vintagemachinery.org/craftsman/manufacturers.aspx

remove the spaces after //

As Jim alluded to above, there's no guarantee that the OEM used the same grade parts in the Craftsman branded machine as they used in their own branded machine.

Quote Originally Posted by chris hood View Post
    So your saying the router I have that is badged a Craftsman Professional has the guts of a Bosch?
    Appears that way. As someone already noted, Craftsman/Sears never actually "made" any of their products...they were contract manufactured in the case of the big tools and rebadged products in many cases for the smaller ones. This process still holds true for a lot of what is available on the market because it's the most efficient and least cost way to bring stuff to folks who want/need to buy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The OP has a Craftsman 130-26620 12 amp router - it's in the first picture. That checks out with the link to be a Bosch product.
    The switch that router takes is here: Part #2610913918 - which is obsolete.
    It does cross reference though to Bosch Part #2-610-016-525

The table appears to be a Rockler #1. I have that exact table top and fence.
    The router is screwed directly onto the router plate.
    The bases have different screw positions so - if you tried to mount the Ryobi to the plate, the screw holes may or may not line up.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thank you for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    If you need the switch, this should be the one you need: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/on...h-p-57795.html

If you are dedicating this router to table use, you can bypass the internal switch and control the router with an external switch outside the dusty area.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If you are dedicating this router to table use, you can bypass the internal switch and control the router with an external switch outside the dusty area.
    Which is what I did and suggested he do. Avoids the issue. Plus and external switch gives a safety factor if you ever have something go wrong you can quickly and easily kill the power. Whether he replaces the switch in the router or succeeds in getting the current one working this is a good idea.

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7175...122157892&th=1