Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Router questions

Router questions

My router on the recently purchased router table quit, it came on then off then on now it will not come on. I have it pulled apart trying to get all the sawdust out of the connections, it's embedded pretty bad, not sure if that is the cause but worth a try. I found another identical one on eBay for around $120 shipped, is it worth buying this same router again or should I try a newer better brand. It is a craftsman professional 12 amp router, I will include 2 images of it. I like some of the older tools but if there are better options in the same price range I will consider them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As far as I am concerned, a Craftsman router is not worth $12, let alone $120. I swore them off in the late 80s when they started using some kind of polymer to hold the top bearing housing. Did you check the brushes?

Router disassembly

I thought Craftsman Professional line was pretty good but that was car parts I was thinking of, out of my area when it comes to woodworking tools as to what is good. I completely disassembled it cleaned out a ton of sawdust and check brushes and everything, maybe the rocker power switch is bad or the thumb dial knob speed control is bad, just speculation of course. I did check it with my volt meter while it was plugged in and it is getting 120 volts up to the power switch .
    Here is an image of 1 of the brushes, I cleaned and checked both, and an image of the top off.
    I was hoping parts were still available to repair it if it is a bad power switch or a bad speed control knob, I spent $400 on the router table set up, it is a really nice set up and all the drawers are full of router bits, hold down clamps for the T tracks and fence system and a foot pedal for it I believe, so I do not have the extra money for a new router at the moment. Anyone have suggestions on a good used make and model of another one if I can not fix this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chris hood; 05-31-2024 at 11:14 PM.

I am not a fan of Craftsman routers either. I would look at a Bosch or Dewalt router instead.

Craftsman sourced their electric tools from all over. Some might have been decent but I would never consider them in the higher end of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by chris hood View Post
    I thought Craftsman Professional line was pretty good but that was car parts I was thinking of, out of my area when it comes to woodworking tools as to what is good. I completely disassembled it cleaned out a ton of sawdust and check brushes and everything, maybe the rocker power switch is bad or the thumb dial knob speed control is bad, just speculation of course. I did check it with my volt meter while it was plugged in and it is getting 120 volts up to the power switch .
    Here is an image of 1 of the brushes, I cleaned and checked both, and an image of the top off.
    I was hoping parts were still available to repair it if it is a bad power switch or a bad speed control knob, I spent $400 on the router table set up, it is a really nice set up and all the drawers are full of router bits, hold down clamps for the T tracks and fence system and a foot pedal for it I believe, so I do not have the extra money for a new router at the moment. Anyone have suggestions on a good used make and model of another one if I can not fix this one?
    Why would you think parts were available? The Craftsman name used today is just marketing buy Stanley Black and Decker since 2017. They don't support anything Craftsman before that.

These things happen, Chris.
    maybe take a breath and bit of a break until you can save/find a good deal.
    Bosch, Dewalt, Makita. almost life time routers. Not personally a fan of porter cable. Noisy. lol. still tho..
    Beware of marketing and spending $$$ on manufactured things you can make for a lot less.

fwiw, stay mostly away from "bay". after a long hiatus, i sold some items there, and I found the new rules and fees...invite sellers to overprice, to say the least... never again!
    Last edited by George Speed; 06-01-2024 at 1:59 AM.

Small electrical components were not made by them anyway I do not believe, but if I can find a like switch maybe cross referencing part numbers or something. That is what I meant, not that I assumed craftsman itself still supplies parts.

NMI..

Make sure what ever you decide on - fits the router plate in the table.
    Not all hole patterns are going to match up.
    if you replace the router with a different model, you might have to replace the mounting plate also. Along with replacing the mounting plate, you might also have to replace the throat inserts.

What brand is the table?
    Is it a Craftsman also? Does it have a separate plate for mounting the router? If it does, what size is it?

Are the bits you got 1/4" or 1/2" shaft or 8mm? Will you have the right size collet to match if you replace the router?

These are things that affect what router to get.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm 99% sure that's a Bosch router in disguise. If so, the Bosch routers are notorious for getting sawdust inside the switch when used in a table. Try bypassing the switch and see if it works, if so replacements are available.

I just went and took apart a Bosch 1617dvs. See the pic. below, the OPs router is definitely a Bosch.

IMG_20240601_083438_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Why would you think parts were available? The Craftsman name used today is just marketing buy Stanley Black and Decker since 2017. They don't support anything Craftsman before that.
    To be fair my 25 year old ratchet died recently and I took it in and they gave me a replacement, no questions asked. But for electric tools, yea I would look elsewhere IMHO.

That definitely looks like a Bosch 1617 in Craftsman paint. That's a good router, and as noted, probably just needs a new power switch. You should be able to find that part online for not too much money. To confirm it's a switch problem, unplug the router and check the resistance (ohms) with a DMM at the input and output of the switch and flip the switch to see if it changes.

Craftsman never made tools. They've always been a sticker and paint job company. As a result, some of their stuff is really good and some of it is not. It's hard to know what you're getting unless you recognize the housing. But that's definitely a Bosch 1617.

Yes, that is a Bosch 1617evs. I remember when Sears had them in store. Switches on those are easy to change, and they often require changing especially in router tables. Maybe order a fistful of switches from Bosch.

I would invest in a better router; maybe with a more powerful motor (depends on your use) and a better reputation and track record. I have found out that it doesn’t pay to go cheap on routers. Sacrificing power is not a good idea either.

As for dust, a good dust collection shroud hooked up to an adequately powered vac or dust collector should go a long way toward preventing the motor from “inhaling” most of the dust.

I don’t do it often enough myself but periodically checking dust buildup and sucking it out is a good idea.

I've had a 1617evs for over 20 years. I sent it in to have the switch repaired once when it was about a year old (within warranty) and it's been a champ ever since. I think I replaced a washer on the turret stop also at some point but that's it. Fantastic piece of equipment imho.