Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hard not to love the blues

hard not to love the blues

Been watching Matteo for years and now many top players are recognizing him. I think hes 24 now. Video is not great and sound not great but I can hear whats going on. Very nice of Joe to bring him up and others that are spending time with him. Hes innovative. Very unique finger picking style. Can play fast as the fastest and is clean and musical. Really hes a monster. I remember BB King joking about Gary Moore and saying those notes are not on my guitar. I get about style and all. Hes a humble kid as well. Joe just keeps growing and seems from you tubes to be an excellent man. I grew up around bands like Whisky Howl and Downchild so blues was stuck in deep at a young age before I got to work with musicians, nother life before sawdust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3OkHNLfp4
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-31-2024 at 11:08 AM.

R.L. Burnside
    Ally Venable
    Buddy Guy
    Anthony Gomes
    Magic Slim and the Teardrops
    Johnny Winters

to name a few

If you love the blues, stream this great show from WXPN.org in Philadelphia. The host, Johnny Meister has amazing knowledge and the show sets are always pleasing.

https://xpn.org/program/the-blues-show/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The first time I heard Sonny Boy Williamson I was hooked on the blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=decVrVwEroY

Blog Entries
    What really got me interested in the blues was a movie, Crossroads with Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca

> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090888/

Back then there was a record store not far from home, Arhoolie Records or Down home music. They carried a lot of music styles not common in other stores.

> https://www.sfomuseum.org/exhibition...hoolie-records

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is a decent video about Robert Johnson on Netflix currently. Sam Phillips and Sun Records are interesting to read about. PBS has an excellent video about Sun Records, Mr. Phillips, and those who walked into his studio in Memphis,

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmas...s/sun-records/
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-31-2024 at 5:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    There is a decent video about Robert Johnson on Netflix currently. Sam Phillips and Sun Records are interesting to read about. PBS has an excellent video about Sun Records and Mr. Phillips
    One of the items purchased at Down Home Music was a two CD boxed collection of Robert Johnson's recorded music. It came with a booklet that contained a short biography.

One thing of interest was a story of Eric Clapton listening to Crossroads Blues and wondering who was backing him up on bass. He was surprised to learn Robert Johnson played it solo.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of the items purchased at Down Home Music was a two CD boxed collection of Robert Johnson's recorded music. It came with a booklet that contained a short biography.

One thing of interest was a story of Eric Clapton listening to Crossroads Blues and wondering who was backing him up on bass. He was surprised to learn Robert Johnson played it solo.

jtk
    I have that CD set too. It is remarkable how unwilling some Americans were to admire The Blues until the British Invasion sent their interpretations back from across the pond.

Give a listen to Joan Armatrading

Great video, I get to see Joe again in November. He is an amazing talent

Nice!

I hired a blues band for my last wedding, and everyone was grumbling, Blues? By the end of the night Sherry and the Violaters had everyone on the tables. Accidentally got stuck in St. Louis in the 70's, stayed at the Holiday by the arch. Wandered down to the waterfront bars and been hooked ever since.

The genre is is diverse. Lighting Hopkins to Led Zep, Stones. wonderful.

I remember two music "Aha" moments.
    1- When I finally deciphered Gregg Allman saying "T bone Walker" (which I had mistaken for "keep on walking") on Live At Fillmore East.
    2- When an older friend responded "Memphis Minnie is the real deal" to my enthusiasm about When the Levy Breaks.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-01-2024 at 10:51 AM. Reason: caps

"Anyone that don't love the blues, gotta hole in their soul"

I grew up in England in the 60's, the blues had just arrived, we played around with it then shipped it back.

Keef Hartley .......