Thread: West System Epoxy Question

West System Epoxy Question

Not really a boat related question, but I have a question about West System epoxy & I know a lot of boat builders use this brand.

Does the slow hardener #206 go bad after sitting for a long time?
    I went to use some 206 & it looked kind of a light auburn color.

The hardener has been stored inside, but it's probably over a year old.

Doug

I have some 206 that is over 3 years old that still works fine. The little bit that remains in the pump gets gummy. If I have not pumped in a long time I do not use the first pump full.

https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...roper-storage/

Several years ago I called West Systems about the hardener changing color. They said don’t worry about it.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Years (decades?) ago they ran tests reported in the in-house magazine due to all the concern in the field.
    My memory is that the "old" products actually yielded better performance. Not enough to lay your new WEST resins down "in bond" (so to speak ) and intentionally age them, but a miniscule percent in some cases that was statistically on the plus+ side. They do get a little stiffer to mix when it is not warm, but then again the color is informative in the mixing process.

I have some that's starting to look like molasses. Over 20 years old. Used some a while ago and it set up just fine. No way to know if there is any loss of strength, but I called them to ask and they said it was probably fine as long as it reacted normally.

Thanks for all the replies!
    I plan to use it to seal the inside of a Thien style dust Seperator, so the color isn't an issue.

Yes, it does change color, but I've never had any long enough to not work, and some of it has more years on it than I can remember.