Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand plane giveaway - requesting update

Hand plane giveaway - requesting update

About six months ago I started giving away a bunch of hand planes. The give away was limited to people who would become contributing members.
    Gave a bunch away. Later I also gave saws away.

So tell me, have you found the tools useful? Just curious.

Eric

Blog Entries
    My grandson has found his #4 useful. His problem is finding time between his job and college classes to do a lot. Thankfully, he graduated from his community college classes and may have some free time this summer.

I've used the saw in the shop and it works quite well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I built a little outdoor breakfast table last weekend. Tried the Atkins you sent me. It needs to be sharpened and tuned, particularly a touch more set I think. My two favorite crosscut saws are an Atkins I got from Tom Law years ago, and a Liberty Bell/Victory saw I bought here from Mike Allen.

It will be interesting to see how close I can get your Atkins to the one I have.

The Millers Falls is a very late production I think.

Yes Nicholas, most the saws I gave away, and the planes too, need sharpened. That's one of the reasons I gave them away. Figured people would not mind trying to sharpen and they wouldn't lose anything if they messed up.
    By the way, Lost Art Press just released a book on saw sharpening, do to ship soon. I've read the PDF and it's a good book. Recommend it.
    (I don't sharpen saws as my eyes are not very good).

I hope you don't think I was complaining. I was just trying to let you know I did use them, appreciate what a nice saw the Atkins is, think I know what I need to do bring it back to its glory days, and it will get many years of use.

I've been using and loving the no. 7 you gave me. The gouges were useful in hollowing out a shrinkpot I tried making for the first time. A shoulder plane you gave me is a duplicate of one I already had - I made sure to donate it to a new woodworker who lacked the tools starting out, but I in the spirit of which it was given to me.

Your welcome Assaf. Hope you and the family are well. Did you ever make that walking stick?
    Also, thank you for passing on the un-needed tools.
    Eric

I'm finishing up a work bench, the walking stick will come after. I really don't want to make my beloved creek a place for politics but I haven't been home for a few months. On the upside I got to save a few lives... I can't wait to get home and enjoy time in the shop and with my family

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    I'm finishing up a work bench, the walking stick will come after. I really don't want to make my beloved creek a place for politics but I haven't been home for a few months. On the upside I got to save a few lives... I can't wait to get home and enjoy time in the shop and with my family
    Here is hopping you get to go home soon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Eric,

I had a similar plane and thus had planned to give the plane to my son in law, who has been and is a member of SMC, for his use, and use with his scout troop. Both he and our daughter are scout leaders, and both do some woodworking, but neither have a lot of time. Both of their kids, and thus my grandkids, are scouts.

So far the scout kids in their troops have used the plane for the pinewood derby cars and other scout woodworking projects. They do not allow the kids to use power tools, only hand tools, so if any power tools are used, only my daughter and son in law use them. I hope the kids will take up an interest in woodworking, especially my grandkids since they have a family history of woodworking or carpentry in both sides of their family. My understanding is that the kids have enjoyed the woodworking projects. That plane is a good size for the kids to use.

Our son in law and daughter have a basic set of hand tools, far more than I had at their age, although they did not have that size plane, and also have a basic set of power tools. Both the power tools and hand tools have come from various sources, some purchased, some inherited from the son in laws great uncle, some I and his father have given them, and some they have obtained from garage sales, etc.

Thank you very much for the plane, it is being used with the scout kids and with them as they have time.

Thanks for your generosity and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 06-09-2024 at 3:26 PM.

Recently touched up the blade on the 5 1/2 you kindly gave me. Used it to quare up and dimension a new maple front jaw for my moxon vise. Worked so well that it made me look like I knew what i was doing. Thanks again Eric.

Thanks all for the responses. Makes me happy that the giveaway was successful. Who knows. Might have more in the future.

MIGHT have a couple items for you to work your Magic on..
    10 June, No. 18s.jpg
    IF you have the time...
    10 June, Test Track, No. 15.jpg
    Lever cap could use a refresh..as well...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Sure Steven, I can do that for you. Anytime except next week. Have plumbers digging up my yard to install a cleanout and then they are putting a liner in. Also tomorrow will be busy around here with some gutter work being done.

No rush...let me know when..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use