Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 8" Jointer: Grizzly G0490ZX vs G0856 vs G0857 vs G0858

Which 8" Jointer: Grizzly G0490ZX vs G0856 vs G0857 vs G0858

Looking to upgrade from my old 6" Jet JJ-6cs jointer (which I put a helical head on). I just have a hobby shop for personal use but would like to get an 8" jointer since I find the 6" too small. I've for the most part settled on Grizzly for their affordability and overall good reviews.

G0490ZX: $1725
    • Cheapest of them all
    • Parallelogram table adjustment

• Dovetailed ways table adjustment

G0857: $1750
    • HSS blades, worry I would want to upgrade to helical fairly soon
    • 76" bed

G0856: $1995
    • Helical head
    • 72" bed

G0858: $2325
    • Helical head

As far as I can tell, I could go cheapest but have the parallelogram table adjustment and a spiral cutterhead (maybe a big enough upgrade over the straight knives). Or I could do the G0856 and get the helical cutterhead but the dovetailed ways adjustment.

I am not really sure the benefits of the parallelogram adjustment are worth that much. Typically I'd probably always just take off 1/32" at a time and leave it at that. I only have used my jointer for 90 degree jointing (though maybe I would use it for angles in the future, idk). I don't know if I'd use it for rabbeting, so really I just want to be able to joint wide boards and have something that just works great. I would love to hear some suggestions and opinions.
    Last edited by Noah Mateen; 05-29-2024 at 3:26 PM.

If you must have a insert head I recommend you buy a machine with it installed.
    I donít consider it a upgrade or necessary. I had a 8 jointer with a insert head and hated it I could never get thin boards flat. Also recommend the machine with the biggest cutting circle if there is one.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    If you must have a insert head I recommend you buy a machine with it installed.
    I donít consider it a upgrade or necessary. I had a 8 jointer with a insert head and hated it I could never get thin boards flat. Also recommend the machine with the biggest cutting circle if there is one.
    Good Luck
    Not sure I follow, what do you mean with an insert head? Like are you saying don't buy a machine with knives and then upgrade the cutterhead insert to a helical?

I would go with the G0490ZX. It has the longest history and is very well reviewed. I bought the Shop Fox W1741 a long time ago which is the same as the 490. I put a Byrd head in it. I couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I would go with the G0490ZX. It has the longest history and is very well reviewed. I bought the Shop Fox W1741 a long time ago which is the same as the 490. I put a Byrd head in it. I couldn't be happier.
    Do you feel the parallelogram table adjustment is worth it? What about the cutterhead, any thoughts if spiral is really much better than just straight knives?

I have the g0858 and I much prefer it to the old straight knife delta but geez...I can't believe how much more it is now. Jointers are simple machines (but yes, I do like the parallelogram tables very much - although dovetail ways only really need to be setup once) so maybe look at the used market for something much better at that price.

I only say this because after tax and shipping, you're looking at like 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I have the g0858 and I much prefer it to the old straight knife delta but geez...I can't believe how much more it is now. Jointers are simple machines (but yes, I do like the parallelogram tables very much - although dovetail ways only really need to be setup once) so maybe look at the used market for something much better at that price.
    So parallelogram tables are something I am unfamiliar with. If I rarely adjust the depth of cut for my jointer and pretty much always use it just for milling down hardwood, does it really provide much in terms of benefits? I am just wondering if I get the G0490ZX so I have the big table and parallelogram adjustment but I don't get the helical head cutter, or G0856 for $270 more but get the better cutterhead and sacrifice that table adjustment

I call the brydhead a insert head. The parallelogram jointer beds doesnít have and affect on how a jointer cuts. A jointer with longer tables would be better then one with short ones.
    Really depends what can you afford and
    Do you have room for a longer machine? If you have to move it to use thatís not good.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I bought a G0490X over a decade ago with the inserts. I have a Ridgid 13 " planer with knives. I am pretty mechanically adept and I prefer aligning or rotating the inserts!!! It's got inserts, and the long parallelogram beds

The longer bed should be an advantage when jointing longer pieces. The parallelogram beds, once aligned should remain so. The alternative relies on the weight of the bed hanging on an angled dovetail assembly. While those have functioned quite successfully for decades, in theory and in my mind, the parallelogram style once aligned should require less maintenance over time.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-29-2024 at 5:54 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's easy to adjust and get a parallelogram jointer into perfect alignment. Not just moving but aligning it after you take delivery, if alignment is needed immediately or down the line. I also don't understand why people say they don't adjust their jointer. That makes no sense to me. For face jointing, maybe I take a 1/32-1/16 but for edge jointing I might take up to 3/16". It's quick and easy to adjust a jointer, so why not do it? Maybe these same people take dozens of passes instead of one or two? Anyway, I wouldn't pick a jointer based on the fact I'd never touch it, but that's just me.

I'd prioritize bed length, parallelogram, helical head and "other" features in that order. I just finished milling 10'-6" boards this weekend (face/edge jointing) on my 82" bed and they came out perfect.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 05-29-2024 at 5:38 PM.

I had the Stellex model of the G0490X and was happy with it but it was just setting unused so I sold it to my son.

Fast foward 3 years and was ready for a jointer again. I drove to Grizzly Springfield to buy the G0490X but after looking at the units on the sales floor and talking to the Salesman about the difference between the 490X and the G0858 I went with the G0858 that fact that was on sale made it an easier decision. But when I got it home It was a joy to open the crate to find all I had to do was left it off the skid install the blade guard and one bolt on the switch and one knob and it was up and runing. easier than the last jointer I bought from grizzly. It has been a joy to use. I also like that it was made in Taiwan not China. It was crated bettered than other Grizzly machines I have bought that were made in China. I think it is worth the differenc in price. That said I think you will enjoy which everyone you go with.

From your list, I would go for the G0490ZX. It's on sale which gives a better price. It's also a much heavier machine compared to the others, plus it has the spiral/helical head. Helical head is quieter when cutting, but some people like the results of a straight blade knives. It depends on the type of wood. On figured wood, the helical head does better, but on more conventional wood the straight blades may give you a more "planed" type of finish. It really doesn't matter if you end up sanding the material anyways.

G0490ZX = 76" parallelogram adjustment + helical head @ 508lbs (machine weight) = $1725 + $329 shipping (heavier machine) = total $2054 plus tax

G0858 = 76" parallelogram adjustment + helical head @ 365 lbs (machine weight) = $2325 + $289 shipping = $2614 plus tax

G0857 = 76" parallelogram adjustment + straight knives @ 365 lbs. (machine weight) = $1750 + $289 shipping = $2039

G0856 = I would not even consider this machine. It's a smaller machine and lighter weight, plus the dovetail ways can be a pain to align.

I had an 8" dovetail gib Grizzly jointer about 25 years ago in my 2 man commercial shop. The dovetail in the cast iron had a shallow curve to it and when the high spots wore down, it was a mess. I have gone 51 years without an insert head of any kind. Not in a hurry to get one either. No idea if this will help, it's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I had an 8" dovetail gib Grizzly jointer about 25 years ago in my 2 man commercial shop. The dovetail in the cast iron had a shallow curve to it and when the high spots wore down, it was a mess. I have gone 51 years without an insert head of any kind. Not in a hurry to get one either. No idea if this will help, it's up to you.
    This definitely helps. After reading replies it seems the G0490ZX and G0857 or G0858 might be the best move.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Mateen View Post
    Do you feel the parallelogram table adjustment is worth it? What about the cutterhead, any thoughts if spiral is really much better than just straight knives?
    THE parallelogram design is superior in that you can level and take the twist out of the bed. A set of well sharpened well aligned steel knives will leave a better finish. Carbide inserts are easier to rotate to take out a nick and last soo much longer then steel knives. I hate setting knives so the small decrease in surface finish is well made up by the ease of changing and long life of the carbide inserts. I have not rotated my inserts yet.