Thread: Think I may need a new roof, OH boy!

Think I may need a new roof, OH boy!

Roof has been on since 2006 and was a 30 year Owens Corning architectural shingle. I have corner lose and nails under them rusting. I had an active leak on one side of a window last fall. I could not see any obvious place of ingress for water. It was wet on the inside in the corner. Dried it out painted the area no further problems. 3 or 4weeks ago I notice a water stain on the other side of same window, Not obvious source. Painted this over. Roofing folks did fin a couple ding spots above the leak area, 10-15 ft up the roof from the edge where granules had been removed. I guess it could be the source.??? West facing side of the roof has more granular loss than the east facing side. Any reason? One company is quoting Atlas brand shingle and I have never heard of them. Have any of you? Thanks Brian

https://atlas-arc.com/our-story
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    ... West facing side of the roof has more granular loss than the east facing side. Any reason?.?.
    Your weather comes from the west, so the roof takes more of a beating from wind, rain, hail. Also the afternoon sun is hotter than morning sun, which makes the shingles stretch more.

On an house I owned about 40 years ago I had a roof leak that was near the roof peak, but staining the ceiling near the supporting wall. Water was moving through a nail hole left unsealed by the roofers, and travelling along a roof truss for about 10 feet until it came in contact with blown insulation, which provided the path down to the ceiling.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I would hire a quality roofer to diagnose and fix the problem. As others have posted, it could be as simple as a nail pop or a folded shingle along an eave.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Your weather comes from the west, so the roof takes more of a beating from wind, rain, hail. Also the afternoon sun is hotter than morning sun, which makes the shingles stretch more.

On an house I owned about 40 years ago I had a roof leak that was near the roof peak, but staining the ceiling near the supporting wall. Water was moving through a nail hole left unsealed by the roofers, and travelling along a roof truss for about 10 feet until it came in contact with blown insulation, which provided the path down to the ceiling.
    Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I would hire a quality roofer to diagnose and fix the problem. As others have posted, it could be as simple as a nail pop or a folded shingle along an eave.
    Thought about this. I've talked with 2 companies and they can't say for sure where it is coming from. Also, I'm 67 and am going to need 1 more roof on this house in my lifetime. Thanks brian
    Brian

Have you had any hail or heavy wind damage? That roof should last longer than that. Insurance might cover part of it, If it’s damaged.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Don't know about their products but you'd think a company so proud of their growth and 36 facilities could spell the name of one of their major claims to fame correctly on their web site.
    Sltting_20240529_070030.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Don't know about their products but you'd think a company so proud of their growth and 36 facilities could spell the name of one of their major claims to fame correctly on their web site.
    Sltting_20240529_070030.jpg
    Tough crowd! Brian
    Brian

If you can see the fiber glass in the shingles because the granules as missing itís time. If you wait too long your plywood becomes your roof you donít want that to happen.
    Im a roofer
    Good Luck
    Aj

By my math your 30 year roof is 18 years old and should have some warranty time left.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    By my math your 30 year roof is 18 years old and should have some warranty time left.
    Thats what I said more or less, my 25 year Warranty Menards shingles brand name I forget, was put on in 1999 and its about due,

t
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

On our rental house, thankfully the last asphalt shingle roof we own, there was a leak. I went up on the roof and had my Wife stand outside to show me by holding up a stick where the leak was in the house. I looked closely walking straight up the roof from there. Up near the peak was a rusty 8d nail poking head up through the shingles. I didn't bother to worry about the physics involved, but pulled the nail, carefully broke the seal down loose from that shingle, pried it up gently, and put some marine 3M 5200 on the hole under the lifted shingle. I pushed the shingle back down in place. Some of the sealant squeezed up through the hole in the surface of the shingle, but I just left it alone. It hasn't leaked since. It was a pretty simple fix.

That was one of many problems with that house that was considered a tear down. No one else would touch it to make any offer, but after it had been on the market for over a year, I made an offer for less than the lot was worth and they took it. I didn't tear the house down-just fixed stuff.

It is unlikely to be worth the time to pursue a warranty claim at 18 years old. The payout would generally be materials only unless the installing contractor has a workmanship warranty. The amount you would receive would be unlikely to be worth pursuing. You would have to prove the materials are defective. The manufacturer is going to do everything they can to blame the installers, or something else rather than the shingles themselves.

I had Certainteed organic shingles on my first house that were defective. There was a class action lawsuit settlement regarding the shingles. The payout would have been about $800. It would have covered about 10% of the reroofing cost. I had the roof replaced as I was selling and the process to claim the money for a property you no longer owned was complicated so I never went after the money.