Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel figure 8 hardware

Stainless steel figure 8 hardware

Looking for ideas to attach a table top to the base on an outdoor dining table. Thought to use stainless steel figure 8's, but I can only find ones that are @ 7/17" overall length which is way to small. Normal steel units are 1.3" long. Table has a 5' wide frame with a 35" marble insert and a 3" leg with a 1 0r 2" overhand, so I am unsure I can use a corner brace to screw up through. I saw some stainless angle I might be able to use. Appreciate any suggestions on how to do this. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

See if you can find SS Z-clips as an alternative. They would require small slots cut in the inside of the aprons, but effectively do the same thing as the figure 8s. Folks with a Domino often use that for the slots but there are other ways to cut them, too, including just running a groove full width with a saw or router. You could also us SS mending plates if those are available...just grind the corners round if you wish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Google "Table top buttons". I've used this method a few times. You can use stainless steel screws to attach them. You need an easy way to route the slots though.

I use a Domino.

011257022_table-top-460x260.jpg

You can also make your own with blocks of wood. Just make sure to elongate one of the holes to allow for expansion.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat. Figure 8's are just probably the easiest. Not necessarily the best.

I thought they used to be brass? Not brass plated.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Try these. Figure 8
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There was a thread about the correct name of this hardware in the last few months.
    AFAIK most Simpson hardware can be ordered in stainless. Or just buy SS strap and cut /drill to need.
    Bill D

I've used these on an outdoor table, they're galvanized. Personally not fond of figure-8 for table tops. Jim also mentioned how to install if you have a Domino.

https://www.amazon.com/Table-Fastene...s%2C164&sr=8-8
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 05-09-2024 at 3:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Try these. Figure 8
    Concerned how steel will hold up outside, rust staining the wood. Thanks
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    See if you can find SS Z-clips as an alternative. They would require small slots cut in the inside of the aprons, but effectively do the same thing as the figure 8s. Folks with a Domino often use that for the slots but there are other ways to cut them, too, including just running a groove full width with a saw or router. You could also us SS mending plates if those are available...just grind the corners round if you wish.
    Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Google "Table top buttons". I've used this method a few times. You can use stainless steel screws to attach them. You need an easy way to route the slots though.

I use a Domino.

Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Concerned how steel will hold up outside, rust staining the wood. Thanks
    put a couple of paint on the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    put a couple of paint on the steel.
    Now that's a thought. Thanks brian
    Brian

I remember reading a fww article about this method a long time ago. I've used it several times - good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

I use a Domino.

My favorite part about using the table top buttons is I almost always have a 1" wide scrap from a project, and they're a good use of that material instead of just adding it to my offcuts bin.