Thread: Glue Chairs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only glue that will strike through old glue is hide. If PVA was originally used, injecting it into a partially closed joint isn't going to do much in the long run. It might seem a little tighter, but only because it swelled the joint. Little gluing has likely taken place. PVA over hide -- total waste of time. Have to disassemble, clean, maybe make a fox-wedge, and reglue. You can pack the joint out with shavings as Lee has pointed out in his post.

Thinning PVA glue with water works really well. I do it all of the time for various reasons. Sometimes, to get it through the needle of a syringe. Part of the trick with thinned PVA is it absorbs quicker and there's less glue. So you usually need to apply some, let it absorb, and then apply some more before the old glue has a chance to dry.

That being said, wet PVA won't stick to old dry glue. So if you're trying to strengthen an old glue joint that's come lose, then you need to disassemble the glue joint, clean off all of the old glue, and reglue it like a new joint. If you're just going to try to fill in new glue on top of the old glue, I'd use a 2-part epoxy or cyanoacrylate glue instead. Neither would be as good a disassembling the joint and resetting it, but both would be much better than mixing old and new PVA glue.

I've found that if an old joint is loose, it can usually be worked free with a bit of wiggling. You may need to apply heat from a heat gun, or acetone (not at the same time as acetone is flammable) to get the old glue to let go. Be careful with those, as they'll both ruin the old finish.

How about PU glue? Might that work? It will, reputedly, glue together almost anything ... although it might be difficult to work with and I have no idea about its longevity.

Genuine question. I have an unopened bottle of Gorilla glue on the shelf but no experience of actually using it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Storer View Post
    Genuine question. I have an unopened bottle of Gorilla glue on the shelf but no experience of actually using it.
    Well, It is a pretty strong water proof glue. Some people (Norm Abrams included) advocate wetting the joint before applying the glue to activate the glue. I've found that wetting the joint causes excess foaming. There is sufficient moisture even in kiln dried lumber and the atmosphere to activate the glue. You get stronger joints with far less foaming if you just apply the glue, spread it where needed, assemble and clamp the joint. In about 30 minutes to an hour you can remove most of the squeeze out that does foam with a sharp putty knife.

Do not make sloppy joints expecting the foam to fill the gaps. It will fill, but the foam ads no strength.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David Storer View Post
    How about PU glue? Might that work? It will, reputedly, glue together almost anything ... although it might be difficult to work with and I have no idea about its longevity.

You're essentially asking about different kinds of permanent glues. If you're going to reglue with a more or less permanent adhesive then use a high quality boat builder's epoxy and be done with it. I don't advise it, but you don't seem to be swayed by other courses of action.

Blog Entries
    At 85 my Father In Law went through a phase of gorilla gluing chairs and other genuine colonial antiques. The chairs are stuck together for sure. It is going to take some time to get them cleaned up. They look very odd in the meantime. The clear gorilla glue is non foaming. I would consider giving clear non foaming PU a try. If Tite Chairs is the same as the product I tried years ago, it is alleged to swell the wood as well as be an adhesive.

The description of Chair Lock is similar to the product I remember finding at Ace in the past. I have confused myself a little regarding Chair Lock Vs Tite Chairs. I guess I will have to try both. As a last resort I have used thickened epoxy on badly broken and worn out chairs.

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 9.25.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-05-10 at 7.14.53 AM.png
    https://www.swingpaints.com/product/...c-Wood-Sweller

Based on the warnings Tite Chairs must be a version of Super Glue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-10-2024 at 8:20 AM.