years back I used to cut the lawn at times for an elderly neighbour or his son in law other times. From cutting the lawn saw two Clematis left for dead. When the home was sold asked a daughter if I could dig them up and she said yes and I put them in a place where all the daughters can see them when they drive by.

Both were Jackmani and nearly dead. They were dug up in hot in august and sat in a bucket of water for a few days and then planted. Told worst time. they didnt care and came to life. At the end of the second season one died so I got another same and put it beside it.

This year one that was 10 feet long and not trimmed fall and brown and dead has now sprouted 3/4 the way up despite all the dead on it and is just now starting to throw a few shuts out ground level. I dont know to do other than cut it down and try to root the growing parts if possible. I can also leave it but it looks weird with all the dead then green way up.

The other that was dead is now growing from the bottom even though all the old brown is there. I think cutting that one down makes sense as there is not green higher up in any place. from what I could tell there are 3 types of Climates and they are cropped at different times of the year depending.

I can find some photos, the left side one is 10 feet of dark brown old dead shrivelled leaves then 7 feet up two feet of green then same dead to the end.