This is totally a subjective thing, Tom, both for personal preferences around organization as well as functionally how we use our tools. So you are not "missing anything". It's just a choice.

I've actually moved to a more formal Systainer arrangement for my portable power tools which while mostly Festool, also includes some DeWalt devices. I even took three of the oldest that were in "Classic" systainers and put them in current generation boxes to normalize access. (The three older Systainers will be used for static storage space) A recent project saw me building shop cabinets with drawer/shelves to make access to the Systainers easier. And that means I actually put tools back and out of the way immediately when I'm done using them because it's easy. That was not the case when the Systainers were just randomly stacked.

Now I'm not personally going to do Systainers for hardware and doo-dads. I have other storage for that, much like you show in your photo. But I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to use the Systainer organizers as an alternative. It's a good, functional system.

This is where I'm at presently. There will be two more cabinets stacked above the two near the door.

SystainerCabinets.jpg