Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: landscaping is my other hobby, record for me, 25 yards of mulch

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Really love the hostas. So- you don't have weeds where you live?
    I am surrounded by yards full of dandelions, but refuse to give in. Thick lawn is key, built it up over a few years and got to the point it is easy to keep under control. I use quart spray bottles with different weed stuff in them and once a week just walk around the yard and spray stuff. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    That all looks very nice Brian. I am trying to find a quote.... I think it is from Agatha Christie, it might be P.G. Wodehouse, or was it Downton Abby?

"It takes ten years to make a Lawn and twenty years to make a Gentleman"

It may be the other way around.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-05-2024 at 5:37 PM.

Nice job, Its a lot of work, but it looks beautiful.

Beautiful Brian! I do miss gardening in the Midwest.

What a beautiful bed of hostas. Is that an earlier blooming clematis? I thought mine bloomed later in the summer???

Brian, beautiful yard and landscape, thanks for posting pictures. Very inspiring to do more yard work for the rest of us. Curious what kind of grass is in your yard?

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Brian, beautiful yard and landscape, thanks for posting pictures. Very inspiring to do more yard work for the rest of us. Curious what kind of grass is in your yard?
    Thanks Perennial rye, whatever was in the yard when I started, and a spreading fescue. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Beautiful Brian! I do miss gardening in the Midwest.

What a beautiful bed of hostas. Is that an earlier blooming clematis? I thought mine bloomed later in the summer???
    Maybe where I am? Indianapolis. I have 4 types of clematis and they are all in bloom or starting to bloom. Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Thanks Perennial rye, whatever was in the yard when I started, and a spreading fescue. Brian
    Thanks for your reply, I was guessing it was a cool season like some variety of fescue. Do you have an in-ground irrigation system to keep it green in the summer? In our southern area, cool season varieties take a beating in the summer without a lot of water.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I was guessing it was a cool season like some variety of fescue. Do you have an in-ground irrigation system to keep it green in the summer? In our southern area, cool season varieties take a beating in the summer without a lot of water.
    Julian, I use a spring pre-emergent with low nitrogen, say @ 18. I try to minimize how much nitrogen I add in the spring since it just makes me have to cut the grass more. Hit the grubs in June or so to keep the moles down. I spot treat with a fungicide where necessary. I aerate and fertilize in the fall. I have done this for many years. I have over seeded in the fall a couple times over the years. We did add a sprinkler system 3-4 year ago and water 1"/week. Adding the sprinkler system did help immensely with thinning over the season due to heat/water etc...

I've gotten it to the point I keep hand spray bottles of lawn weed killer I can use to walk around the yard and spray weeds with. Don't want to carry a 2 gal tank sprayer around anymore. I use a variety of chemicals in small spray bottles, this way I use less. I use an extended kill weed/grass inside the beds on stuff when it comes up. I had some aggressive viburnum that was sending up shoots off the roots into the yard and other beds. Had my landscape guy remove this and grind the bed for the roots and planted better choices. I've been using brush kill full strength where the roots are still sending up shoots in the beds it was growing in. Landscaping is a very much learn by doing experience. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Nice Grass. When I moved in I intended to do it myself plan was to buy a commercial mower for 3 solid acres of mowing. Time being a limited commodity I wanted it done quickly so I planned on a machine that can complete the mowing in 1 hour and that would leave me a couple hours to handle weed wacking, blowing, cleanup, etc. Equipment I tallied up to 18,000 including maintenance tools. I got a quote for someone to do it at average of $65 a week. If I valued my time at 0, gas was free, the machine never broke or wore. It would take 7 years to pay off equipment. What I do need to do is weeding/pruning/tree maintenance.

What I have fallen behind on is Weed control, fertilizing, and seeding. Does anyone have recommendations on that True green or someone like that?

Blog Entries
    Beautiful. Our urban deer would love that hosta salad!

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Nice Grass. When I moved in I intended to do it myself plan was to buy a commercial mower for 3 solid acres of mowing. Time being a limited commodity I wanted it done quickly so I planned on a machine that can complete the mowing in 1 hour and that would leave me a couple hours to handle weed wacking, blowing, cleanup, etc. Equipment I tallied up to 18,000 including maintenance tools. I got a quote for someone to do it at average of $65 a week. If I valued my time at 0, gas was free, the machine never broke or wore. It would take 7 years to pay off equipment. What I do need to do is weeding/pruning/tree maintenance.

What I have fallen behind on is Weed control, fertilizing, and seeding. Does anyone have recommendations on that True green or someone like that?
    If I had that much to do I couldn't do it myself cost or time effectively. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Beautiful. Our urban deer would love that hosta salad!
    I do have problems with deer. We put out pieces of hand soap, and it seems to help. I planted 10 Asiatic liliy bulbs last fall with chicken wire to keep the squirrels out, 8 came up and the deer chewed the tops off of them already.... Brian
    Brian

Looks great Brian. That's the problem with wood mulch though. It has to be added to yearly and the disintegrated mulch becomes dirt in which weeds and other unwanted plants will grow in. I've switched to rubber mulch. I need to pick up a pallet now. Some has gotten away and I have some areas that still haven't gotten it yet.