Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCM T130 bearing change

SCM T130 bearing change

Has any one here done one? Looking for suggestions, thanks.

If we knew what kind of machine it is we might offer advice based on similar machines we have worked on. Is this similar to the Grob 120TP which uses very high speed bearings.
    Bill D

I Googled the machine parts break down. It looks like you'll be dealing with a deep groove ball bearing on one end and a angular contact bearing on the other end.

All the spindles I've rebuilt with a angular contact bearing have to have the clearance set. It's not hard to do, if you've done it before. If you don't have any experience doing that maybe you can hire it out.

It's an easy job if you have the proper tools and shop to do it.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If we knew what kind of machine it is we might offer advice based on similar machines we have worked on. Is this similar to the Grob 120TP which uses very high speed bearings.
    Bill D
    It's an early 2000s SCM T130 shaper. Google is your friend...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Yaegle View Post
    Has any one here done one? Looking for suggestions, thanks.
    A couple people have
    https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?47621

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's an early 2000s SCM T130 shaper. Google is your friend...
    My goggle came up with a Grob T120tp plane. I do not think it is the same Grob still making bandsaws in Wisconsin. Unlike many here I donot really know any tools by model number.
    I have noticed Tesla never seems to put a model number on their cars. Ford puts the model in letters six inches tall on the tailgate of their trucks.
    Bill D.
    I do like my BMC 7"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-04-2024 at 6:20 PM.

My goggle came up with a Grob T120tp plane.
    Not sure why that would happen if you put "SCM T130" in the search. Nice plane, for sure, however.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not sure why that would happen if you put "SCM T130" in the search. Nice plane, for sure, however.
    I probably typed t120 instead of t130? It does have a single spindle. Kind of hard to replace the blade.
    BilL D

Jerry, I have not found a good parts break down with google?

Jared, I read that but have not found any good info, just that they changed theirs.

I probably typed t120 instead of t130? It does have a single spindle. Kind of hard to replace the blade.
    BilL D
    You can't leave off the "SCM" from the search...it's conceivable that many companies might have "things they make" that use the same or similar identifiers, especially when numbers are involved. SCM is the manufacturer of the machine the OP is asking about, so including that in the search targets the results.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Yaegle View Post
    Jerry, I have not found a good parts break down with google?
    Tom, have you tried Parts Pronto which is part of the SCM website? You have to register, but that's the parts and manuals part of the company.
    --

Jim, I will try there. The T130 does not have a serial # tag on it but will try there with out the #s and see. Thanks

Trying to get the nut off holding the pulley. It is not a hex but round with 4 slots on it. Thinking I need to make a socket or has anyone found one to match?

Flat pin wrench. Doc you have one for a an angle grinder? Or make one from a piece of angle iron and two hardened allen head set screws with nuts to match. You will need to drill the two allen size holes and maybe a large axle clearance hole in between them.
    BilL D.
    This horrible fright version is probably too short for enough leverage to work. It will probably bend as well.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/adjust...IaAkoBEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-06-2024 at 1:04 PM.

If the slots go clear to the rim then a hook wrench might work. If you have the correct size the solid type shown are better then the hinged ones.

Regardless of what type of wrench it may be easier if the wrench is so long the handle is beyond the wheel rim in free air where your hand can grip it all around. If the sheet metal guarding allows that.
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-06-2024 at 1:13 PM.