Thread: Which 3M Versaflo? Or?

Which 3M Versaflo? Or?

I'm looking to get a PAPR for the first time and after some research here and elsewhere it seems the 3M Versaflo is highly recommended. There are a few versions of this but I haven't been able to determine which one is best suited for woodturning. Any suggestions? Also, the PAPR offered on Ashley Harwood's site looks to be a good option. How does it compare with the 3M Versaflo?

If i was to buy the "kit" for turning, it would be the TR300-HIK, which includes the M-307 helmet--currently $1,300 to $1,600. However, the healthcare industry has a soft hooded kit that is available at the online auction bay, TR300N-ECK...available for about $450-$500 shipped. Takes a little patience, but M-307 helmets open-box or damaged-box come up on the same auction site in the $250-$300 range. Been 2 years, but i put mine together for under $600 when i did it. Today, $700-$750 would do it. If money was really tight, the individual components (blower, battery, charger, hose, helmet) all come up for sale--but not enough savings for me to shop that hard.

I have no basis of comparison to other systems on the market. Besides air supply, i feel very confident in my VersaFlo's helmet to be able to help me survive a pretty good hit--but not confident enough to stand in the line of fire. It's a beefy helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    If i was to buy the "kit" for turning, it would be the TR300-HIK, which includes the M-307 helmet--currently $1,300 to $1,600. However, the healthcare industry has a soft hooded kit that is available at the online auction bay, TR300N-ECK...available for about $450-$500 shipped. Takes a little patience, but M-307 helmets open-box or damaged-box come up on the same auction site in the $250-$300 range. Been 2 years, but i put mine together for under $600 when i did it. Today, $700-$750 would do it. If money was really tight, the individual components (blower, battery, charger, hose, helmet) all come up for sale--but not enough savings for me to shop that hard.

I have no basis of comparison to other systems on the market. Besides air supply, i feel very confident in my VersaFlo's helmet to be able to help me survive a pretty good hit--but not confident enough to stand in the line of fire. It's a beefy helmet.
    Thanks again Earl! The 3M TR-300N+HIK looks like the way to go. There are a few complete units from individuals not far from me in the $900 range compared to the higher prices you mentioned from normal retailers. Most of the wood I'm currently turning is bone dry and in our high desert climate the PAPR will provide some needed relief and comfort compared to what I'm now using.

I have this kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fortunately got it years ago and paid about $1k at the time.

This is the heavy duty helmet "just in case", have never tested it but feels pretty stout - good balance of protection and weight.

I purchased a 3M TR-300N HIK on the "online auction bay" as Earl put it for $840 including shipping and taxes. My wallet hurts but my lungs will probably thank me. I look forward to giving it a try.

You did well. I think you'll like it. Had mine on for 2+ hours last Sunday, and battery only went down one bar.

On Amazon now, the TR300N-ECK is available for $430, and the M-307 helmet is available for $380. Combined, are these equivalent to the TR309N-HIK? Is anything else needed for these to work together? Thanks!

-- Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morgan View Post
    On Amazon now, the TR300N-ECK is available for $430, and the M-307 helmet is available for $380. Combined, are these equivalent to the TR309N-HIK? Is anything else needed for these to work together? Thanks!

-- Jim
    It looks like more stuff is included with the HIK than the ECK according to the two 3M links below.
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/dc/v100559007/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/dc/v100559008/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morgan View Post

-- Jim
    HIK has a much nicer belt (but i had spare leather belts) and a particulant pre-filter to help extend the HEPA life. I've just been using the HEPA without the pre-filter and haven't had any reduction in flow. On the plus side, with the ECK you get that big soft hood--i keep thinking i'll use that when i'm sanding flat work, but after 2 years i still haven't done that (and could have just last Sunday!!) Helmet is comforable enough i never bother going to the basement to grab the big white hood from the ECK.

EDIT--the ECK also includes several disposable tube covers (clear plastic), those could be used if one is spraying a finish for example. They are part of the healthcare kit to facilitate decontamination.
    Last edited by Earl McLain; 05-05-2024 at 7:48 PM.

You can get disposable soft hoods for these if you don't need the hard visor and safety hard hat. It's not particularly easy to clean the soft ones. Much easier to clean the hard ones. For turning, I think I would want the hard one. For most everything else, the soft throw-away hood would make me happier.

Some options people don't pay attention to... Some units have separate chemical and particulate filters available. Others use a combo chemical/particulate filter. Pick the option that suits your actual use. Say for example, if you're doing a lot of solvent work, you'll need chemical but not particulate. A lot of sanding and you'll want particulate but not chemical. The "dual purpose" filter has a lot shorter life span.

While these are all rated about the same as far as efficiency goes, watch the filters and other consumables. Be sure you use prefilters - they're really cheap compared to the filters.

Also, a word of caution... 3M moved their manufacturing location during COVID, and has been having massive problems with batteries not working properly. This is more difficult because they're impossible to deal with on warranty issues.

The thing is, the Versaflow is still about the best out there, and you can buy parts, so there's that.

Are you open to options from companies other than 3M? If so, Peke Safety offers a PAPR that is much less expensive. Here's a link: https://pekesafety.com/collections/p...47907200205093

Woodturners Wonders also offers the Sundstrom line of PAPRs for a little less than the 3M versions. Link: https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...ing-respirator
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I use this one from Peke Safety, not a true PAPR but positive pressure. Light weight, well balanced and very good visibility. https://pekesafety.com/collections/powered-air-purifying-respirators/products/powercap-active-particulate-papr?variant=31337357738062

I received the 3M TR-300N HIK a few days ago but haven't used it yet. While attempting to charge the battery the charger indicated a "fault condition - defective battery". I'm in contact with the seller to see what needs to be done. Overall the PAPR seems well designed and manufactured but I'm not impressed enough to see how much 3M
    is getting for these. IMHO the helmet is a step up from my Uvex Bionic Face Shield but adding for the improved helmet, fan, battery and charger, hose and filter I can't see any more value than $400, maybe $500.

The Versaflo is up and running thanks to the seller that made good on fixing the problem of a non-charging battery. I tried on the helmet and spent some time with the unit running. It's without a doubt the best fitting and comfortable helmet I've ever used and don't foresee a problem being under it for extended periods of time. The cooling effect from the airflow is an added bonus. The setup is expensive, possibly more than it should be but I'm glad to have made the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    The Versaflo is up and running thanks to the seller that made good on fixing the problem of a non-charging battery. I tried on the helmet and spent some time with the unit running. It's without a doubt the best fitting and comfortable helmet I've ever used and don't foresee a problem being under it for extended periods of time. The cooling effect from the airflow is an added bonus. The setup is expensive, possibly more than it should be but I'm glad to have made the purchase.
    Glad to hear it Steve, fully agreed. I don't know how much more the Versaflo helmet weighs than my Bionic shield, but it's more comfortable. And, fully agreed with the air flow. Congrats!!