Thread: Source for Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni)

Source for Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni)

I am finally getting ready to start a long delayed dresser project. I'd stashed away a bunch of cuban mahogany, and planned to acquire any additional needed from a source in Ithaca, NY that IIRC imported plantation grown logs of Swietenia mahagoni. Unfortunately they appear to have gone under. Any other ideas for sources? I get that this may not be possible/available, but thought I'd ask. Love some book-matched flame for the doors as long as I'm looking for unicorns

Separately, if anyone has a good source for exotic hardwood in the Albany, NY area (with an hour or three) I'd appreciate that as well.

I suggest you stretch what you have. Make some shop made veneer and you can have all the book matched you want.

Some of that plantation Mahogany, that goes by many names, moves more than any wood I've ever seen. I would stay away from it.

I have to agree with Richard.
    As mentioned at the wood Database, Cuban Mahogany is in CITES Appendix II, and is on the IUCN Red List
    https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/32519/68104916

If you look in Florida there are some outfits that sell Cuban mahogany that grows locally there (same genus/species) but you avoid the cites issue cuz it’s technically domestic.

True “Cuban Mahogany” has been illegal to import into the USA for more than 50 years. Long before the CITES list was even a thing.

Those places Kendall mentioned typically sell wood from trees toppled during a storm.

I recently saw a vender on line selling small pieces at high prices. Google it. GOOD macrophyla mahogany is still great stuff, I would use that. A good horse is better than a newly painted rocking horse !

Like many banned species, it does come up from time to time.
    Often a business has failed with old inventory or a large stash in a forgotten warehouse is found.
    I have gotten Brazilian Rosewood this way, small pieces to be sure but it's the good stuff.

You could always buy an old Steinway piano and repurpose the wood. We have a 1932 and even the legs are solid Cuban Mahogany.

here's a place that might have what you are looking for. Google Maps says it is just under 4 hours to Albany. I have not used them, but several of my family have and swear by the selection for when you need the perfect piece of wood for a special project: https://irionlumber.com/
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I’m sure they have some good stock, but I don’t like the “genuine” mahogany ‘info , It’s all genuine, let’s hear more about what they
    have for sale . Has anyone here ever heard macrofyla mahogany called fake mahogany ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I’m sure they have some good stock, but I don’t like the “genuine” mahogany ‘info , It’s all genuine, let’s hear more about what they
    have for sale . Has anyone here ever heard macrofyla mahogany called fake mahogany ?
    Mel, the term "genuine" mahogany is generally used to denote actual mahogany species that grow in Latin America, etc., to differentiate from "African Mahogany" which is something completely different. It's not a play on words. Irion is one of the more respected wood suppliers in the US, especially for wide material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...