Thread: Woodturning lathe for young adult nephews?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't know where your nephew is located, but you might consider reaching out to AAW (American Assn. of Woodturners) chapter or IAP (International Assn. of Penturners) that are closest to where he lives. Often can find members with lathes available for sale, especially smaller lathes--so you may find a machine local to him that is well-loved. Even if the nearest club(s) are an hour or more away, there may be members that live fairly close. Side benefit is that it may also get him pipelined into one of those organizations and the hand-on workshops or mentorships that are available nearby. If that topic came up in our club (90 minute drive for me), i'd be one of at least 5 members who'd offer a midi for reasonable cost.
    Good luck!!

Home Depot sells small lathes on their website and offers free delivery. Simply have it shipped directly to your nephew's address or pick up at his local HD (assuming that is a reasonable distance option). I see the 10" EV Jet offered on the HD website. Grizzly is another option for direct shipment of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Don't know where your nephew is located, but you might consider reaching out to AAW (American Assn. of Woodturners) chapter or IAP (International Assn. of Penturners) that are closest to where he lives. Often can find members with lathes available for sale, especially smaller lathes--so you may find a machine local to him that is well-loved. Even if the nearest club(s) are an hour or more away, there may be members that live fairly close. Side benefit is that it may also get him pipelined into one of those organizations and the hand-on workshops or mentorships that are available nearby. If that topic came up in our club (90 minute drive for me), i'd be one of at least 5 members who'd offer a midi for reasonable cost.
    Good luck!!
    Good idea! I tried to contact the closest AAW Chapter (Normal, IL) but they don't seem to be very active. Their website didn't allow me to contact them. I'll keep trying to see if there's a member nearby that can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Good idea! I tried to contact the closest AAW Chapter (Normal, IL) but they don't seem to be very active. Their website didn't allow me to contact them. I'll keep trying to see if there's a member nearby that can help.
    Chicago chapter of IAP is pretty active, with plenty of members in the Joliet/Kankakee zone. Would be worth checking in there as well. Good luck!!