After the base frame triangles were assembled, any remaining waste was removed.

j Removing the Waste.jpg

This is where a Japanese pull saw is handy.

The brace in the picture was used for driving the screws.

All the rest of the joinery is done with pocket screws. Even this can be complex at times.

k Nonjoinery Joinery?.jpg

Shown is the pockets being set up for the 2X6 board to hold the wheels. The wheels were originally from my roll around toolbox that was refitted with different wheels.

All the cross braces (ramp supports or stretchers) were cut and drilled for pocket holes before starting. Their lengths were also checked and adjusted as needed before much else was done. They were cut to be just a bit wider than the platform that will carry the bin on the back of my truck.

The ramp supports (top stretchers) were set in 3/4” to match the thickness of the 1X8s to be used for the ramp by clamping a piece of scrap to the triangle.

l Lining up Ramp Supports:Cross Braces.jpg

These were set at pretty much equal distances with a pair of dividers. Once these were attached, the second triangle was placed on the bench and this was set on top of it. Gravity can be helpful when one knows how to use it.

m Using Gravity to Align the Sides.jpg

A plumb bob makes lining up two pieces fairly easy. Getting the three corners aligned and start driving in the screws. The ramp side again had a spacer to set the cross beams in 3/4”.

Next the wheel support board was placed and attached.

n Positioning Wheel Board.jpg

A pencil line was drawn on the frame with the wheel and board positioned by eye after the triangles were built.

The 1X8 six foot boards were set in place and the positions for the #10 screws were marked. A bit made for drilling pilot, shank and countersink for #10 flathead screws was used. It can make a deep well so the round heads on the screws are not above the ramp surface.

o Laying Out Screw Positions.jpg

After install9ing the 1X8s, the wheels were attached with 1/4-20, 2” carriage bolts. The ones on hand were 2-1/2” so they were cut down for this project. That usually requires a little grinding or file work to make them safe and useable.

My son in law helped me carry it out of the shop and set it on the ground. It was then rolled across the yard to my truck.

p Ready to Roll.jpg

Likely be a couple weeks before the bin has to go out again. I can wait. Maybe if we get a few dry days I’ll give it a coat of paint or something.

jtk