Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot water sulfur smell solutions

W had a similar problem , I installed a powered anode rod and have not had a problem since . Not to badly priced either.
    Chris

We are on heavy iron water. apparently what comes with that is hydrogen sulfide which gives you that smell. With well water lots of people end up with this. It breeds in the warm water. An electronic anode helps for sure but You should at least yearly drain the HW tank and piping in the house and refill A standard works too but may need to be changed yearly.

Once a year maybe 2 times if not on septic
    Introduce a cup or 2 of bleach or so into the system and run water to farthest faucet till you smell bleach and turn it off.
    Then open each faucet in the house till you smell bleach.
    Let this sit for 20 minutes.
    Drain the whole thing and flush it all out.

You will be surprised with the amount of black stuff that comes out.

Thanks for all the replies! I have googled and read a lot about this but really wanted to hear from folks like you guys who aren't selling stuff. Any more experiences would be appreciated!

I was away from home for two and a half weeks last summer and I turned my gas water heater off to save energy (and money!). The hot water smelled horrible once I turned it back on and started using hot water again. After a few days I drained the water heater which solved the problem. I have turned off my water heater numerous times while away, but usually not more than eight days.

I had air induction filter serviced today. Last service on it was in 2012 and has run great. It does not use any chemicals. I had my water tested and it was high iron from the well but zero iron after the unit. It also takes out sulfur.

It is made by Aqua Systems and is made to be easily serviceable. They serviced it with no tools as the connection were all easy to undo by hand.

I would start at the source, chlorinate the well. Turn off energy source to WH. Run system till you smell chlorine at faucet, both hot and cold. Let sit for 24 hours, and then flush system.

Thanks again folks! I take all your responses seriously. I have a metered well that needs to be in sync with the septic pump out as here holding tanks only are required (Long story).

I reworked the plumbing so I can flush the tank and hot water line without it going into the septic or throwing the meter out of sync.

I did that 2 days ago and things are good right now.

If it keeps happening I plan on using your ideas from least expensive to most expensive till I get this figured out. If the well needs to be shocked I will have it done by the well company who drilled it, as I think that is beyond what I would do myself.

Thanks for all your personal responses, Best people on this site for sure.

Involving the drilling company for further treatment, if required, is a good idea. They have seen it all before and likely are familiar with the water conditions in your area if they are relatively local.