Thread: Cutting 45's on an Incra for a 46" square frame

Cutting 45's on an Incra for a 46" square frame

I doing a test to determine if i can get this miter tight. I don't cut a lot of miters so... Using an Incra sled that is 90 to the blade. Then set it at 45 degrees. I tried a couple sample cuts and this is the closest I can get to 90 degrees on the miter corner.

Width of pieces is a little over 5". It is enough out of 90 that if I push it into 90 it open up the miter at the outer corner. Not sure how to adjust for this? Thanks. Brian

20240428_081139.jpg20240428_081131.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 04-28-2024 at 8:29 AM.
    Brian

Shooting board.

John

Yup, agree with John T 'bout a shooting board.

I struggled with the same condition until I invested in a shooting board and shooting plane. As with most everything in the woodworking hobby it did not end there however. The shooting plane iron must be kept very keenly sharp requiring sharpening equipment that a mostly power tool guy does not own.

5" wide is going to show some kind of crack over the years. That flat sawn wood is going to shrink next winter and this will be the result. Quarter sawn is a much better choice.
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 2.33.03 PM.jpg

When cutting miters it easy for the stock to slip slightly. Put a piece of psa sandpaper either flat on the surface of the sled or on the sled fence. 220 git is fine.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    When cutting miters it easy for the stock to slip slightly. Put a piece of psa sandpaper either flat on the surface of the sled or on the sled fence. 220 git is fine.
    Steve, I'm using a sled with a hold down, still slipping you think? thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    5" wide is going to show some kind of crack over the years. That flat sawn wood is going to shrink next winter and this will be the result. Quarter sawn is a much better choice.
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 2.33.03 PM.jpg
    Richard, it's for an outdoor table top using cypress, miter corners would look better, but might be a bad choice. Butt joint is probably a better choice. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Richard, it's for an outdoor table top using cypress, miter corners would look better, but might be a bad choice. Butt joint is probably a better choice. Thanks. Brian
    I suggest a two piece approach. Use a butt joint with the thinner interior section. Then wrap it with the thicker outer molded piece using 45's. Put a rabbett on the outer piece so it overlaps the thinner pieces.

John