Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker’s 96” layout tool. Well worth the money.

Blog Entries

Woodpecker’s 96” layout tool. Well worth the money.

I have needed a long measuring tool that is rigid for checking square on doors (measuring the diagonals). I bought this a bit reluctantly because it is in three pieces and I don’t normally trust rulers that come apart. This is dead-on accurate and the joints where it comes together are precision milled and I love this tool.

https://youtu.be/CSB6o1yc7CY?si=at_zDASgroHjLXAk

Using a tape measure has always worked for me, especially considering that costs $225

Malcolm,

I have one as well. I use it more as a story stick than a ruler. I'm making a pair of bookcases for my son and daughter in law and I used it for the shelf spacing so they all match. Anything where I have measurements to transfer to multiple pieces it's great. It's come in handy on more projects than I can count. As you say it's definitely worth the price.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Using a tape measure has always worked for me, especially considering that costs $225
    It’s expensive for sure, but for layout, particularly for multiple items, and transferring measurements it excels well beyond a tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    It’s expensive for sure, but for layout, particularly for multiple items, and transferring measurements it excels well beyond a tape.
    What does the $225 piece of aluminum provide that a straight 1x2 can not give you? Especially when you use it like a story stick like Cliff does. It's hard to beat the accuracy of a knife or sharp pencil line to layout more than one piece. You could build an entire kitchen with just the marks on a piece of wood. Who says you have to put a number on something to make it right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TXw9y4AFHM
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 04-27-2024 at 10:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    I find that a hard measuring tool is much better than a flexible tape, especially when working alone and trying to measure accurately when there isn’t something to hook onto.

I find this tool better than a wood stick because it is adjustable, and has accurate measurements. When laying out rails and stiles, a tiny fraction off makes a big difference. It isn’t for everyone, but in my shop it’s used many times a day. I won’t get into an argument about how I spent money. I simply wanted to share what I feel is an excellent tool.

Well said Malcolm. I like that I can adjust the overall size depending on what I’m doing too. Repeated measuring is not the best way to accuracy. Setting up once and repeatedly using it is a much easier task. I wouldn’t be without mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Thanks for taking the time Malcolm. I can totally see a use case for these, and if used often we'll worth the price I'm sure.
    +1
    While I'm always bothered by WP prices, I could certainly see where this would easily pay for itself. It all depends on the type of work you do and your method of layout/measuring.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-29-2024 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    How about a photo instead of an 8-minute video?
    For me simply opening the video provided a picture, the rest was a bonus.

I don’t see myself needing anything like that. I have experience laying out large roof panels consider the precision that’s needed when your fighting accumulative error.
    I do like the color or the woodpeckers stuff it’s a nice red.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Malcolm, I am among those who appreciate the post. I was unaware of this tool before, and now i know. Whether i will buy one is beside the point. Thnak you for your effort in posting this.

Best, Patrick

Exactly. I'm always looking for ways to make sure I get repeatable cuts of the exact same length.

Thanks for posting this Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    ... I'm always looking for ways to make sure I get repeatable cuts of the exact same length...
    The way the pros do it is to make up a story pole, usually an offcut of plywood or solid stock that you've saved for such purposes. A couple tic marks only takes a few seconds and costs nothing. But I certainly understand the temptation of spending 100'$ on something you don't need.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

What happens more often is that some members with years of experience, point out that there is little need for one tool or gadget, another might tell you not to waste your money where a less expansive solution will perform just as well.
    Many times you learn more by these methods rather than purchasing a tool that "does it for you".
    You can certainly go out and buy all the gadgets and gizmos that you want to, that's entirely up to you.
    For some of us, it's just folly to pursue such things. Many traditional methods are referred to as tried and true for a reason.
    As far as this fancy story stick goes, it has it's place, which is IMO a very small niche and is also expensive as all WP tools are. That being said, if it helps you get your work done, go for it.
    Don't worry about what others think
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-29-2024 at 10:11 AM.

Well I might disagree that "this place is mostly old men" but there are plenty of forum contributors that sure behave that way. Would a picture have sufficed instead of a video? Maybe, but nobody was forced to watch the whole thing. And it was only 8 minutes. Some of you guys are acting like it was 8 hours. And all the moaning and groaning about the price because the sticks and story poles they have been using work. The old table saw with a tilting table also worked, but I wonder how many woodworkers pissed and moaned about the cost of "that new fangled" tilting arbor saw.

Was I impressed with the 96" layout tool? Absolutely. Would I buy one? Probably not at this time, but only because most of what I do is one-off. However, if something comes up where I need repeatablity and accuracy, I wouldn't hesitate. The tool costs about $225 not $2250. Just because there are those that would rather spend two days building a jig that can be purchased for say $100 doesn't mean I would join the grumpy old woodworkers club and be critical and judgmental. I follow another forum where the curmudgeons, with their constant criticisms, chased away a frequent participant who always had something insightful to offer. Now he is gone and everything he would have had to offer is gone too.

To the OP, I say thank you. Even if I never buy one, I appreciate knowing that a tool like this exists.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-29-2024 at 10:12 AM.