Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Window Sash Profile

Shaker Window Sash Profile

Hellos All,

I need some help with some window sashes. I am tasked to build some window sashes for an interior partition wall between a pantry and kitchen for a client. I mistakenly offered a shaker profile. However it turns out the cutter set I was planing on using only goes to a max thickness of material of 7/8". I want the sashes to be 1-1/2" thick since they will have true divided light and are about 55" tall. So 7/8 would be too flimsy. For the life of me I cant find any sash/muntin cutters in a shaker profile. Is there some way to use the infinity cutter set I linked to make the sashes that I want? Do you know of a router bit set that will cut this thickness sash in a shaker profile?

https://infinitytools.com/products/3...uter-bit-set-5

Here's a profile from a shaker building.

Temp.pdf

These are custom cutters, but the profile is a copy of an 1840's Shaker sash.
    Last edited by William Hodge; 04-27-2024 at 2:00 PM.

Try looking up Ovolo sash ,and cutters

Thank you for that. However this is the profile I showed the client.
    https://infinitytools.com/cdn/shop/f...p?v=1705899330

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    Here's a profile from a shaker building.

Temp.pdf

These are custom cutters, but the profile is a copy of an 1840's Shaker sash.

James, call and speak to the guys over at Whiteside. Awesome, knowledgeable folks over there and they're usually more than happy to make custom profiles (they used to at least).

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Thank you for that. However this is the profile I showed the client.
    https://infinitytools.com/cdn/shop/f...p?v=1705899330

Also, you can always cut mortises for floating tenons prior to routing the profiles.

Ya, I was thinking about using my domino with the trim stop jig I think its called. But I would need to do a mock up to see if it would work on the muntins.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Also, you can always cut mortises for floating tenons prior to routing the profiles.

Blog Entries
    There are lots of windows pictured in the writings about the Shakers but I do not see a whole lot about sash construction.

Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 7.47.34 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 8.05.39 AM.png
    https://www.shakers.org/schoolhouse-...haker-village/

https://www.traditionalbuilding.com/...c-wood-windows
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-28-2024 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    James, call and speak to the guys over at Whiteside. Awesome, knowledgeable folks over there and they're usually more than happy to make custom profiles (they used to at least).
    Whiteside only makes multiples of six of any custom bit now. There is a place just down the road from them that does make singles though. Hickory Saw and Tool. I haven't bought any is some years now, but I'd expect more than $300 each these days.

That's too bad, they were pretty accommodating about that a ways back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Whiteside only makes multiples of six of any custom bit now. There is a place just down the road from them that does make singles though. Hickory Saw and Tool. I haven't bought any is some years now, but I'd expect more than $300 each these days.

They sent me to Hickory when they changed. They’re just as accommodating and bits just as good..

For just a few sash, I would just use a molding plane. I probably have ones for that size sash.

There are five windows that are approximately 26x56. While the neander in me says yes. My neck and shoulders are saying heck no!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    For just a few sash, I would just use a molding plane. I probably have ones for that size sash.
    Last edited by James White; 04-30-2024 at 9:06 PM.

The Shakers would not have decorated sash though. Bridal joints, or draw bore mortise and through tenon. The Historical Society I belong to owns a one room country schoolhouse. Still has the original draw bore sash in it, looks like Douglas Fir that had to have come in by steam train from the coast in 1861.
    Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 7.53.51 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 04-30-2024 at 9:02 PM.

Thank you for your input. So the sashes would be square edged? Not even a bevel? What profile would be put on the glazing bars (muntins)?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The Shakers would not have decorated sash though. Bridal joints, or draw bore mortise and through tenon. The Historical Society I belong to owns a one room country schoolhouse. Still has the original draw bore sash in it, looks like Douglas Fir that had to have come in by steam train from the coast in 1861.
    Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 7.53.51 PM.jpg