Thread: Makita LS1019l Miter Saw Dust Collection?

Makita LS1019l Miter Saw Dust Collection?

I just purchased another miter saw, a Makita LS1019l. One of the deciding factors in choosing this saw is the positive reviews on its dust collection. It seems to be a nice saw and the dust collection is improved over my last Makita miter saw. However, I'm confused about how to connect it to a vacuum system. After a somewhat exhaustive search for an adapter the best I've been able to come up with is the following linked part apparently crafted with a 3D printer. Fine, but it does have some problems based on some negative reviews. Has anyone with the same saw found a better solution? I'm also a little surprised that Makita has left the end used hanging to find an appropriate adapter. I contacted Makita customer service and they were clueless.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Adapte...Adapter%2Bpart

I just exchanged a few emails with Makita customer service and a follow-up call with them over the phone. And the conclusion from Makita is that the upper and lower dust collection ports of their setup cannot be connected to a vacuum. A vacuum can only be connected to the upper port. A previous version allowed both to be connected via an additional port on the lower manifold but that was discontinued. Amazing!!! Unfortunately this will be the first Makita product I will be returning.

Before you return it - it's a great saw - I've had the same saw for years, and I'm almost certain that mine are Y'd into the vacuum hose. I remember the connection was a bit of a PITA, but the resulting system works well in a largely enclosed shroud. I'll try for photos tomorrow, but salt my tail if I don't post them. That Amazon part looks like a similar solution.

I have the same saw. Dust collection is quite good depending on the type of cut.

Are you saying that your saw does not have this part?

IMG_1893-01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    I have the same saw. Dust collection is quite good depending on the type of cut.

Are you saying that your saw does not have this part?

IMG_1893-01.jpg
    It does not have the part between the hose and saw. Where can that be purchased?

The Makita website still has the 2017-dated IPL for that saw on the saw's product page link.

I would contact Makita and inquire about the part numbers.

Does the manual that came with your saw not list the included parts and not include the dust hookup in the assembly instructions? If there is no lower hookup, does your saw still have the big rubber baffle behind the blade?

Here's the manual from the product page.

Here's my setup

As mentioned, I did these connections a few years ago. I used only the parts supplied with the saw. The difficulty was that the vacuum hose diameter was too small to fit onto the lower fitting. As I recall I used heat to force it on, then clamped it with bailing wire. It has worked really well without further attention. As one can see, there's not much residual sawdust inside the enclosure, which hasn't been cleaned out in a couple of years. The second photo shows the fit of the sliding doors: pretty close, maybe 3/8" gap for maximal containment.

Other photos show variations on the fittings and setup, but the bottom line is that you can have very good dust collection if you work at it. It's worth doing as this Makita is a better saw than either Festool of Bosch in my opinion.

Dust collection.jpgEnclosure doors.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    The Makita website still has the 2017-dated IPL for that saw on the saw's product page link.

I would contact Makita and inquire about the part numbers.

Does the manual that came with your saw not list the included parts and not include the dust hookup in the assembly instructions? If there is no lower hookup, does your saw still have the big rubber baffle behind the blade?

Here's the manual from the product page.
    This manual (including mine) refers to the older dust collection setup where the vacuum connection is made at the lower manifold as Don's photo shows. It is now on the upper manifold as shown in Marc's photo, however I don't have that fitting.

The Makita LS1019L online product page has a section titled "View Dust Management Options". In that they show using a Quick-Connect Adapter P-70378 for connecting a vacuum. A newer version of the product manual shows using a 424379-9 Front Cuff for the same purpose. I ordered both and will return whichever one or both that don't work. Strange that the similar product page for the LS1219L doesn't show the "View Dust Management Options" tab but does show the 424379-9 Front Cuff in the manual. Unfortunately Makita customer service wasn't aware of any of this.