Thread: Bosch Reaxx table saw - why you cant buy it

Bosch Reaxx table saw - why you cant buy it

We recently had a thread about a proposed safety rule requiring better protection on table saws - automatic hand detection, etc. I don’t recall seeing this article posted before, but it was new and interesting information to me, so I thought it might be of interest to others. LINK

Hope it helps.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

One word IIRC, SawStop. Not a fan.

I tend not to trust sites with half dressed women on it. I made a mistake clicking on it. I'll likely get a 1000% increase in Etsy spam now. Personally I would not buy that style of saw anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I tend not to trust sites with half dressed women on it. I made a mistake clicking on it. I'll likely get a 1000% increase in Etsy spam now. Personally I would not buy that style of saw anyway.
    I think I may be seeing different ads on that site than you are Sir - I don’t see any half dressed women. But I sure understand your point.
    Best wishes,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-26-2024 at 12:11 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank you.....this is an entire different take on the issue.

Sawstop settled with Bosch in 2018 and they could have been selling the REAXX saw.

It appears that the reason they are not selling it is due to potential interference with cell phones.

You see ads? None here, though I did remove cookies after reading the post. I'm using Firefox and Privacy Badger.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Thank you.....this is an entire different take on the issue.

Sawstop settled with Bosch in 2018 and they could have been selling the REAXX saw.

It appears that the reason they are not selling it is due to potential interference with cell phones.
    I didn't read the article, but that's what I heard. It worked. But it used a different technology from SawStop and in order for it to work right, you couldn't have a cell phone near it. Which in today's world is probably asking too much. Plus, the lawsuit from SawStop bit into the profitability. And even though they won the lawsuit, they knew they'd have to redesign it for the cell phone thing, and design it around the SawStop patents, which means additional redesigns would probably invite more lawsuits from SawStop, so the whole thing just became too expensive to pursue.

With most of the SawStop patents expired, more companies could introduce this technology. But SawStop still has a few patents out there, and since they've proven to be a very litigious company, no one wants to spend the money to design something only to have to spend years fighting it in court, especially when their old products still sell. Even if they know they will win, it's probably not worth the effort and cost. Plus, making a saw that's supposed to be safe can invite more lawsuits from customers who hurt themselves than making a saw that's supposed to be dangerous. You can't sue a company for a failed safety feature if it doesn't have a safety feature. Remember all of those Takata airbag recalls and lawsuits?

EMC compliance is a serious thing.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Altendorf and Felder have active saw safety systems that are available worldwide, they don’t damage the blade and have no consumable parts.

At the WMS show last autumn you could hear the thump of the Felder PCS saw being triggered every few minutes in a customer demonstration.

The Felder saw with PCS is selling well, I presume the Altendorf saw is also selling well.

Neither system conflicts with SawStop

Regards, Rod

I am glad to see others selling this type technology. However, the price of the Altendorf or Folder are way beyond most peoples wallet.

One has to wonder and I am in a SawStop FB group. There are a good number of unexplained activations that some owners have had. Sometimes more than one. No flesh contact, no obvious metal, no high moisture content, and they report when the brake is sent in that the analysis by SawStop doesn't shed any light on it either. Some have had to replace some internal components at SS's direction. I wonder if there could be some cellular interference at play here and no one is aware of it. There have been a lot of changes in the cellular landscape since the first SawStop saws hit the market in 2006 or 2007.

12. I will never own a Sawstop or any equipment that uses their flesh sensing system. Steve Gass as most remember tried to make his system mandatory and two the system destroys blades and cartridges and lots of time due to misfires

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hofmann View Post
    I will never own a Sawstop or any equipment that uses their flesh sensing system. Steve Gass as most remember tried to make his system mandatory and two the system destroys blades and cartridges and lots of time due to misfires
    You either forgot or were unaware that Gass first offered the technology to all the major saw producers for a licensing fee. No one signed up. Only later did he decide to manufacture his own line of saws. If you don't want to buy a SawStop, fine, but why bash a guy who developed a technology to prevent tablesaw accidents and created a company that employs people here in the USA? All new technologies have problems but that doesn't mean the technology itself is flawed. A ruined blade seems pretty cheap compared to a finger or three.

I'm not sure Gass tried to get HIS system mandated, only that new tablesaws have some sort of technology to prevent accidents. But even if he lobbied for his technology, most would call that good business sense.

John