Thread: Cheap Bandsaw for Resawing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have the G0513ANV edition, it was for their 35th anniversary. As a hobbiest I am very pleased with it. I do have a 1 inch blade that I seldom use, I don't believe I can get enough tension on that blade. I have a 3/4 inch blade that I believe tensions as it should. I keep a 1/2 inch blade on it for general use and it does a good job. I have yet to spend the big buck for a high quality blade but the Timberwolf blades work well for what I need. I can cut 1/8 inch cuts and it does a decent job. Not perfect but a couple trips thru the drum sander and all is well. I would highly recommend this saw. I should mention the fence is not the best but adequate

I'm sure this is common knowledge, but setup and a sharp resaw blade are essential. Especially when you're asking a lot out of a smaller saw.

I have the Laguna 14/12 and really like it. Its a 110V, 1 3/4hp saw that claims 13" resaw capacity. I would bet that with a great, very sharp blade you COULD do what you're asking, but it'll take a lot of patience. I've resawed plenty of ~6" stuff, but 13" would really be pushing it, even if they claim the capability. YMMV.

We have the Laguna 14BX (220V, 2 1/2hp) at a shared shop I go to and I like that one a lot...seems like a good balance of capability and value. I've resawn wider stuff on that, and it works fine as long as its setup well and you've got a new, appropriate resaw blade.

But resawing 12" stock is going to be frustrating with all but the biggest saws I think. I think the most realistic idea is the used 3hp with a VFD.

Hi Jimmy,
    I have a Griz 21" BS that I had primarily used for resawing and ended up adding a Griz 05132BF for non resawing things-mostly big bowl blank rounding-so I didn't have to remove and reset the bigger saw for resawing. The two hp with a basic 1/2" blade does a good job at the max 12" capacity cutting the rounds-oak, walnut, madrone, maple- has plenty of power and the electric brake is a great feature-I like it better than just a foot brake like on the 21"er. The old "buy it once--cry once" comes to mind with this decision. It can be a bad day if a resaw cut goes of course when you are trying to sqeeze as much usable wood that you just barely have enough of or you want to bookmatch, etc. I see they have a 14" with a 2hp motor than may work as well. No foot brake would be a deal braker(oops) for me--very comforting to see the blade stop moving ia a couple seconds when finishing a cut. Not sure of blade size limitation on the 14" but a wide CT type blade makes resawing much better. Good luck,