Thread: Powermatic model 50 jointer

Powermatic model 50 jointer

Hi everyone I’m new here and kinda new to woodworking. I was searching for a table saw and came across this jointer for 150 bucks and felt like it was a good deal ( I hope so lol). Everything works on it. Everything checks out with a straight edge. I would like to disassemble and clean and lube it up. The in feed table is a little sticky. My question is can I remove and clean it without screwing up the adjustments. Right now with a straight edge everything looks good, except the far end of the infeed table drops slightly. Haven’t stuck feeler gauges in there yet. And also what kind of lube should I use. Probably something that doesn’t attract dirt. Thank you ahead for any input you guys have.

I have pictures but not sure how to attach them

I would take it apart and replace the bearings unless I was positive they weren’t done recently.
    Cleaning up the dt ways might be just what’s needed for the sticky table movement and alignment.
    Please don’t ruin it with a insert head. I’ve never had one but have heard they are built better then a delta jointer of the same vintage.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I like Dupont chainsaver lube. Goes on wet like wd40 evaporates to leave wax behind. Use no silicone. Any silicone left behind will rub off onto wood and cause fisheye in finishes and glue problems.
    I would spray wd40 on the moving bits and crank it up down a few times before taking it all the way apart. If you are lucky that may cure it.
    Bill D

You might want to pick up a can of Kroil. It's probably the best penetrating lube I have ever used. Keep in mind that while it has some lubricating properties, WD 40 is primarily a water displacement product. In fact the name is based on its primary function and the number of attempts that were made to develop the formula. WD (water displacement) 40 (fortieth formula) developed that met the chemists requirements.

Big second for Kroil. If you’ve never used it you’re missing out on the penetrating oil.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Yes I plan on doing bearings and belt. Belts not in the greatest shape. I what are insert heads? Is that the same as the helical heads, with replaceable cutters

Yes I have used kroil penetrating oil. We use it at work. It’s not cheap but does work well.

There's not much you can screw up. To true the tables after cleaning up, if necessary, slipping pieces of feeler gauge shims into the ways of the outfeed table works well. Because it is rarely moved, it's better to shim it than the infeed table.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Truelove View Post
    Yes I plan on doing bearings and belt. Belts not in the greatest shape. I what are insert heads? Is that the same as the helical heads, with replaceable cutters
    Not all insert heads are helical but all use a four sided carbide insert.
    Aj