Thread: Krylon UV Archival Varnish - to prevent box elder color fade

Krylon UV Archival Varnish - to prevent box elder color fade

I'm experimenting with Krylon's UV Archival Varnish, to see if it helps prevent fading of the intense color often found in box elder wood, and I wonder if any Creekers have relevant experience that might bear on that question.

I obtained access to a box elder (aka, ash-leaf maple, Acer negundo) tree that was cut down recently, and have begun turning some bowls, including this natural edge one, pictured along with a rattle-can of the UV protection varnish:

IMG_20240420_132720826.jpg

Thanks for sharing whatever insight you can lend me.

Robert

I have been working with a group of turners for 16 years. From what I have seen and heard Box Elder and Carob are the two woods
    that retain the color best. The finishes used vary across the board from walnut oil to poly and more.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Pretty piece of wood. The bowl looks nice. Curious, did you fill the bug holes?

I have some FBE bowls on the shelf that have held a vibrant color for 2-3 years. I use Howard's Sunshield UV finish over shellac and it seems to be working for the short term

Keep in mind the UV protection may not be indefinite. I was told years ago UV protection is provided by a molecule in the coating that absorbs photons, but that absorbind the photon destroys the molecule.

Prevent is a strong word, since it implies no changes ever. I've never heard of any product that would prevent a color change from UV light. Same goes for saying it is very light fast. Bihn Pho used an air brush and red dye to spray and hold the red color in his extensive portfolio. The bright red has always gone to dull salmon for me. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-after-turning

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Crawford View Post
    I have some FBE bowls on the shelf that have held a vibrant color for 2-3 years. I use Howard's Sunshield UV finish over shellac and it seems to be working for the short term
    FBE? - John

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    FBE? - John
    Flame Box Elder

Flaming Box Elder

I haven't purposefully filled the bug holes. I've epoxy-coated some of the pieces made with this tree, and that has the effect of filling bug holes and any other small openings in the wood.

You might want to look at the reviews on Krylon's page. https://www.krylon.com/en/products/c...tem-ba23edc080

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You might want to look at the reviews on Krylon's page. https://www.krylon.com/en/products/c...tem-ba23edc080
    I read the Krylon reviews, and yes, lots of negative ones. All were focused on the quality of the spray, nothing on the UV protection - so no help there. I don't have an magic answer for keeping the red color, other than to do like Binh Pho did, which was to mimic it with red paint from his air brush. And he did a great job of that. I have some red box elder pieces I turned 20 years ago and finished with poly. They have bleached right out, except for the bottom, which was not exposed to sunlight. So I know that keeping them in the dark works. I've also heard marine grade spar varnish helps, but I have no experience with it. Look around on this and other forums, it's been discussed a lot in the past. You might find more helpful hints.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"