Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pencil Sharpeners

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    The Black is soft
    The pearl(white) is medium
    The grey 602 is firm
    And the natural are extra firm
    I thought Blackwings were good but expensive ($30/dozen). Try a "Mitsu-Bishi" 9850 HB lead and it writes smooooooth and only $8.50/dozen

on the Sharpener side I have found the T'GAAL multisharpener does a nice job, and you can dial in the point angle you want. (The Kum Automatic long point found in art supply stores is also good but a fixed angle).

In terms of old school sharpeners... the ones with the helical blades are best. Most of the modern ones just have a straight shaving blade.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I have one of this style mounted on the wall (not the same make/model). No batteries and the overwhelming positive feature is that is is always in the same place.
    https://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Ranger...s%2C134&sr=8-4
    Yup. I think mine is that exact model. One of the most used "auxiliary" tools in my shop. I use it to bevel home made dowels as well as to sharpen pencils.

Blog Entries
    My wall mount sharpener is mounted to a bench in the shop.

Hand Crank Apsco Pencil Sharpener.jpg

The opening for the pencil is self adjusting to hold various sizes of pencils. It also feeds the pencil hands free. For some the biggest drawback may be the pencil is not finished to a fine point. It has a small flat. This can be pointed further with a little work on a piece of paper or sand paper.

There are three other shop pencil sharpeners.

Three Pencil Sharpeners.jpg

One if for carpenter pencils and the other two are for regular pencils. They can be used to point a pencil fresh out of the hand crank mounted unit if need be.

Finally is my main household pencil sharpener.

Pencil Sharpener Witch's Hat.jpg

There is other household sharpeners, but this is my favorite.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)