Thread: Is there a small, accurate table saw?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Another vote for Festool ... Blade tilt is -10 degrees to plus 47 degrees ...
    I did not know that. Pretty sweet for sure.

Martin, or Altendorf, does +- 45 or more?

I remember looking for pic's as to how, but don't remember if I found anything.

'We' had ... maybe still have (Dad's garage) an 8" Craftsman on a pretty nicely designed and built stand that doubles as a dust bin. I kinda remember doing some nice work on it.

I had a Dewalt portable. It had a couple little quirks, like a hollow in the die cast table that really only mattered on small pieces. Built a nice bench with it, a circular saw, and a borrowed 4" jointer. All used on my knees on the floor ... no bench ...

And...

I was waiting for the Hammond to be mentioned ;-)

Another mention of the Delta 1160 saw. Compact, and quite capable (except for the tilting table, and lack of dust collection).

eafdb50a6a2db8e53f6f489e5248b717-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    I did not know that. Pretty sweet for sure.

Martin, or Altendorf, does +- 45 or more?

I remember looking for pic's as to how, but don't remember if I found anything.

'We' had ... maybe still have (Dad's garage) an 8" Craftsman on a pretty nicely designed and built stand that doubles as a dust bin. I kinda remember doing some nice work on it.

I had a Dewalt portable. It had a couple little quirks, like a hollow in the die cast table that really only mattered on small pieces. Built a nice bench with it, a circular saw, and a borrowed 4" jointer. All used on my knees on the floor ... no bench ...

And...

I was waiting for the Hammond to be mentioned ;-)
    I have the 10" 7480... it still has the dip in it near the throat plate (top is aluminum).
    Not a problem when using a Crosscut sled. Problem is when doing thin rips
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

drop a sheet of quarter inch ply with a stop block front and back on the table saw. Turn your blade up through it and thin rips are fine.

Blog Entries
    The Delta Homecraft 8 1/4 inch is another nice vintage option. These had a drill press and jointer that shared the same motor. I have the drill press set up on its own. I regret giving the jointer away. I am on the lookout to replace the jointer and set this back up as original.

DSCN1890.jpg DSCN1889.jpg

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=3754

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAHQAAAAAQCQ
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-23-2024 at 11:31 PM.

I picked up a DeWalt DWE7491RS last year to use as a jobsite saw while residing my house. I am actually quite impressed with it. It is a far better saw than my dad's 1956 Craftsman 9" saw that I learned on and used until I was nearly 30. Between my dad and I, that 9" saw made a lot of furniture.

And with an actual riving knife and a semi-usable blade guard on the DeWalt, it probably is safer than my 1986 Unisaw (which the Unisaw reminded me of a couple months ago. Kickback hurts!). I didn't do much crosscutting on it with the miter gauge, but I rarely crosscut on a table saw in general.

I would miss the power of the Unisaw, but if I absolutely had to, I probably could get by with the DeWalt. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it would be a workable one.

Acme even has them on sale now

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    drop a sheet of quarter inch ply with a stop block front and back on the table saw. Turn your blade up through it and thin rips are fine.
    Will try it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Tried that with my Hitachi job site saw.
    I never solved all the problems I had getting it to work with the fence.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

putting ply down works great, its no different than a zero clearance insert and maybe better.

Looks like this place has a couple of the Trim-O-Saw's for sale:

https://industriallynx.com/hammond-g...fence-1hp-3ph/

for 400.00 to 1,000.00 you can buy a used cabinet saw. You can add a few jigs made from scrap and probably have a better saw than most shown here. You are limited by these smaller saws where the larger cabinet saw can do the small stuff and larger stuff. Past experience ripping material on small saws is painful.

Blog Entries
    How about an Inca table saw? You can find used ones in great condition...

Geoff has never come back. I think we can stop suggesting solutions until he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Geoff has never come back. I think we can stop suggesting solutions until he comes back.
    Maybe he's reading all the comments, but not saying anything at the moment.