Thread: Wood “stick” cane that contains iron?

Wood “stick” cane that contains iron?

So a friend asked me if I could lengthen a wooden cane he just received as a gift from a world traveler. No idea where the cane (more of a polished stick) was acquired. Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico, LA…could be anywhere. It’s got a thick coat of lacquer or polyurethane on it and is quite heavy for its size. For the heck of it I put a magnet on it and guess what…it stuck…firmly.

Have I been missing out all these years on the true meaning of ironwood or is something fishy here?

I was planning to cut the stick roughly in half and put some steel rod in it to reinforce a 16” or so rod of black delrin or maybe imitation ivory. But not so sure now.

No obvious signs that a rod was inserted and yes the magnet stick top to bottom.

Thoughts?

Sword cane? Could be legal problems as it is a concealed knife or sword. I was in the jury pool for a man with a concealed meat cleaver. So I learned a little about the law from the judge. Read more once I was dismissed and got home. Laws last update was about 1890 in California. Is a knife in a sheath illegal.. maybe. Openly stuck in your belt with no sheath is fine and dandy in public.
    I have no idea where that guy had it concealed. Maybe down his pants? No idea why the Sheriff noticed it either.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-20-2024 at 5:38 PM.

I can't offer a comment on the possibility of a metal rod being inserted during construction without seeing a few close up pictures. If two boards were resaw and book match glued up, the glue line would be nearly invisible.

Pictures? I am inclined to agree with Bill's theory, can think of no real reason other than self defense. I had a friend that made sword canes before he passed, and a couple with 22 caliber single shots. My favorite was a 22 cane that was two intertwined snakes, the latches and firing mechanism invisible.

In the seventies the pimps in Oakland carried golf clubs in their car and had one in hand walking around. No law against that. Carrying a billy club the cops would have stopped them. My dad made a billy club and drilled out the center. Poured in melted lead. He used it to hit a shark or stingray in the head so he could get out the hook. Probably frowned on these pc days.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-21-2024 at 12:08 PM.