Thread: Storing/Drying wood

Storing/Drying wood

I've officially run out of room to store wood inside. Actually that happened long ago, I just wouldn't admit it.
    I'm just looking for any tips or methods you members use when storing outside.
    I have everything sealed of course. I was wondering about how you store things.
    Pallets, skids, rack type shelving or something else I've not considered.
    Currently, I have pallets full of processed sealed wood, it's easy to move with my tractor on skids. I do my best to shade from direct sunlight, which isn't easy where I live, not enough shady areas. I have everything from slabs to burls to turning blanks.
    Any input is always appreciated whether I decide to use it or not, thanks.

If it's not dried, stack and sticker where there is good prevailing air movement with just a cover on top so that precipitation doesn't stand on top of the wood. If it's try, you can store in a more closed, but still ventilated place. I use a 10'x10' Shelter Logic tent for my outside lumber storage that's on top of a simple platform built with pressure treated materials for the frame and exterior plywood for the floor. It's not a permanent structure (short posts to level are sitting on concrete pavers) so I had no zoning issues with it. The try lumber kept inside is not stickered and just organized by species so I can easily get to things. Note I don't keep my "best" stuff out there...it's more my utility lumber.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, that's what I'm doing now.
    Just checking to see if anyone has any other clever solutions

I know I mentioned this in the past, but the tent thing happened because when we moved here, I initially put all the lumber in a storage unit since there was no space for it with the temporary gara-shop. And three months later the "insert bad names here" doubled the rent. So I scrambled and for the cost of about three month's rent of the unit, put down the platform and bought the tent. Three years later I'm still using it and it's been just fine for the purpose. If the tent degrades to the point of needing replaced, then I'll have to make a decision, but hopefully, I'll have used up a bunch of the material (it's not heavily loaded at this point) and it will be a moot point. That's the downside to the tent structures...they have a limited lifetime. I guess could use the 10'x16' shed for this if I put the mower and gardening stuff in the garage. I never park my vehicle in there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As much as I'd like to do a simple tent, during the winter our winds are too strong for it to withstand. If I build something with a roof, it will be solid.
    Thanks again