Thread: Spectacular Tall Case Clock

Spectacular Tall Case Clock

Check out fellow creeker Robert Laplaca's tall case clock in the June issue of Fine Woodworking. It is stunning!

Thank you for noticing and your kind words.. I have added a few pictures for members who don't subscribe to FWW.

DSC_1597.jpg

DSC_1526.jpg

DSC_1536.jpg
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 05-10-2024 at 9:39 AM. Reason: added some pics

Very fine work, Robert! Is that a reproduction or your own design?

Thank you Kevin, should have added more details..

This is a reproduction of a tall case clock built by John Townsend in 1789, the original clock resides in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. This is one of the very few tall case clocks actually signed by John Townsend. Evidently, John Townsend only signed and dated his finest work. The clock is constructed from South American Mahogany, the secondary wood is Tulip Poplar. The 18th century movement was built by David Lindow, engraving of the brass dial was done by Valdemar Skov.

Amazing work! Well deserved to be in Fine Woodworking. Not my style of furniture but appreciate the incredible attention to detail. Having a David Lindow movement is also amazing in of itself. His instagram is one of my favorite people I follow. Thank you for posting this on Sawmillcreek!

Beautiful work!

Gorgeous!!!

Beautiful work , and a Clock is a wonderful companion. I bought an old one many years ago . Haven’t had it running for quite a while
    because it needs cleaning and oiling . Did it twice myself , but I’m getting old. I will use Robert’s great clock to remember what fine
    companions tall case clocks are and push to get it running . The song “My Grandfather’s Clock” is what made me want one. I think
    every child should learn it as their first great bitter- sweet song .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 05-10-2024 at 6:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Robert is the real deal, and a little too modest. He has been in FWW several times before, and is in SAPFM.. His profile has a link to his webpage, which has several BEAUTIFUL pieces.

Robert, nicely done, as always.

Best, Patrick

Lovely to see something created like that. Reminds me of the ticking of my wealthy uncles grandfather clock in the main hallway of his mansion when I was about 9yrs old.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks for sharing! That is really nice, and I don’t want to guess at how many hours you put into it.

I went to Williamsburg Virginia last month and visited the museum there. It had a great collection of clocks that showed changes in styles over time. I’d recommend a visit if you ever find yourself in the area.