Thread: How many ways to color cedar?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Walnut and hickory are both high contrast, and cherry too. Spalted wood is another possibility.

What happens after several years exposed to air and light. Many woods change color or at least get dull and bland.
    I forget the name but a classic sky blue paint or ceramic glaze turns green after a century or so. I may have that backwards. Maybe Egyptian or middle eastern? So archaeologists thought the ancients had an odd vision of the sky. It is the copper oxidizing that changes the color.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-15-2024 at 10:25 PM.

Reminds me of the nail art by David Foster.
    Bill D.
    https://mymodernmet.com/david-foster-nail-art/
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are also wood dyes. And I frequently use potassium dichromate to oxidize wood and give it an aged look. With some woods, especially woods low in tannins, you have to pretreat them with tannic acid for the potassium dichromate to work. But be careful with potassium dichromate. It's not as dangerous as the internet would have you believe (I use it all of the time). But it is more dangerous than dyes or stains. And you can control the level of the reaction with the amount of water you mix into the solution (or the amount of tannic acid you apply beforehand in some cases).

You can also make your own dyes and stains. Making your own dyes is a bit harder. But making your own stain is really easy. It's just thinned out paint. So you can make water-based stain with either watercolors or acrylics and water, or oil-based stains with oil paints, boiled linseed oil (or walnut oil), and some kind of thinner (paint thinner, turpentine, whatever). Be sure to use artist quality paints from a hobby store, however. Get the good stuff. Check the labels for the pigment used, and look for ones with single pigments that aren't long, complex, scientific names. Natural pigments tend to last longer and look better than synthetics. Now, there are some good synthetic pigments you can use, but you kind of have to know which ones, so it's usually best to just avoid stuff like. Most of the metal oxides should be fine. But with this method, you can stain your wood to just about any color you like, blue, green, yellow, it's all possible. It just takes a while to get the mixes right, so have a bunch of test pieces handy.