Thread: Is spray welding by mail a possibility?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Use locktite or get a new shaft made, unless its an expensive shaft. I have done a few thermal spray shafts, and I wouldn't touch it for that price, too much work. the machine shop just down the road from me charges $130 and hour.

SAM_4215.jpgSAM_3990.jpgSAM_5140.jpgSAM_5188.jpgSAM_5141.jpgSAM_5134.jpgSAM_5147.jpgSAM_5196.jpg

I would turn down the bad area and glue on a speeisleeve of the correct diameter. ball bearing I assume metric.
    A high school shop class might make a new one for materials and piazzas for the kids.
    BilLD

I just realized this is a walker turner machine. Some of their drill presses use custom bearings. I hope this is a standard bearing not some oddball extended race one. A speedi sleeve is designed to make a new surface for a lip seal. i am not sure if they would really work for a press fit.
    If the rough area can be turned down to the next lower bore size a bearing switch might work. If there is about 50% good metal at corect OD 365 should work fine. What holds the shaft in the bearing? Just friction, or is there more like a shoulder and clip.
    My walker turner drill press quill spindle had a similar issue. I cleaned it and added jb weld. Turned it back to correct diameter on the lathe and it has lasted ten plus years. As I recall it is held in place by a shoulder and a e-clip so even if all the jb weld fell out the spindle would not fall.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-15-2024 at 1:07 AM.

Thanks, you've all given me a lot to think about. The saw is not terribly old, from the '80s as far as I know. The shaft steps down from 1" to 5/8" in increments, one step for the bearings and then another step for the pulley and wheel. The bearings are normal off the shelf metric. I drew a paper diagram of the measurements when I had it apart back in February. I did try with the Loctite metal material before but didn't get the fit perfect, and ended up taking off a bit too much of what I had put on.

What model bandsaw is this? How much is it worth?

I am wondering if it's worth effort and time to fix yourself vs selling it at a discounted rate for someone else to repair.

Yes, I think you are right. I'll be listing the saw in a minute in the Classifieds. Maybe whoever buys it will live in a more civilized area with better options.

I forgot to say earlier, Kevin, I like "centrally dislocated". It describes us perfectly.

Personally I would have the shaft trued up and then add a sleeve. Laser spraying is usually reserved for electric motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would turn down the bad area and glue on a speeisleeve of the correct diameter. ball bearing I assume metric.
    A high school shop class might make a new one for materials and piazzas for the kids.
    BilLD
    Bill, I apologize if I come off as an "oil seal" snob. I sold Chicago rawhide as a factory rep for 7 years. Wouldn't recommend a speedi sleeve under a radial bearing. Might work, but not designed for that. Brian
    Brian

Brian you are probably right. The thin wall is fine for a wiping seal but a friction fit will probably crumple up the sleeve.
    Further thought says when I did the jb weld thing I had no lathe. So jb weld then light passes with a file.
    Bill D