Thread: Hollowing Tool Chatter?

Hollowing Tool Chatter?

I'm new to hollowing and haven't figured out how to eliminate the chatter while using the Sorby B851001 Hollowing Tool and others like it. Any suggestions? Also, at what angle should the business end be sharpened?

A handheld (non-captured) scraping tool like that soon reaches its limits. The tool rest should be located under the straight part of the shank to limit torque so there is already a sizeable overhang to start with, and the scraping tip looks rather wide. A 5mm wide tip is more common and less likely to chatter as it takes a smaller bite. The tip can be ground to match the factory angle or as you would sharpen any conventional scraper. When scraping inside a vessel the tip should be slightly above center.

How deep are you hollowing? What wood species? What speed are you turning? That tool is more of a scraper than a hollowing tool. The blade is too wide for fast cutting and the shaft is a bit undersized to cut very deep. It's mainly used to smooth out the surface you already cut.

I'm only going into the piece about 3" from the rest. It's a small globe shaped hollow form. I don't recall if the cutting edge is above or below center but will check tomorrow. Is there a better tool for this type of work? I don't know the factory angle as this tool is used and the previous owner has probably reground it.

The tips are made to be interchangeable, gat a new tip, there are many profiles to choose from.
    Many of the tips for these tools are sharpened at 80 degrees.