Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tormek ... Gimmick?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tormek ... Gimmick?

I just purchased a Tormek T8 Custom and fitted it with 10" CBN and leather wheels. I already had a slow speed 10" grinder with 8" CBN wheels and a Oneway grinding system for sharpening woodturning tools, which has served me well. The Tormek purchase was motivated after getting into some wood carving. I thought it might be better suited for that purpose especially because of the leather honing capability and since I would be wood carving in another part of my shop an additional sharpening station seemed to make sense. After setting up the machine I sharpened a couple of general purpose chisels with the Square Edge Jig. My first impression was ... why did I purchase this? The chisel already had a decent flat ground edge that could've been easily touched up with my sharpening stones. And if the edge was so badly damaged I could've fixed it with tools I already had. I also got the feeling that the Tormek was nothing more than a gimmick, one of those late night purchases on the shopping channel, my wife's purchases not mine. Should I keep the Tormek and risk it ending up in a closet along with the bread maker, various vegetable cutters, cotton candy machine, hot dog cooker, etc?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 04-09-2024 at 9:49 AM.

I find my tormek to be great for sharpening turning tools. Things like chisels and plane irons, faster with a normal bench grinder and stones. They're simply too slow for those imo
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I find my tormek to be great for sharpening turning tools. Things like chisels and plane irons, faster with a normal bench grinder and stones. They're simply too slow for those imo
    There are too many happy Tormek users to make me think it is a gimmick.
    I don't have a Tormek but your comment is the opposite of what I would have thought would be the case. Slowness sharpening turnng tools is often stated as a negative for Tormeks especially since turning tools need to be sharpened frequently compared to hand tools.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 04-09-2024 at 9:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I don't have a Tormek but your comment is the opposite of what I would have thought would be the case. Slowness sharpening turnng tools is often stated as a negative for Tormeks especially since turning tools need to be sharpened frequently compared to hand tools.
    I sharpen my hand tools several times during use. Basically, I keep my stones out when using them. Reestablishing a bevel, removing a nick etc, with the tormek is, well.. So slow it's painful. On the other hand, I don't turn often. If I did, I'd imagine a tormek holder for a bench grinder would be better. Its the jigs, not the low speed, that I like for turning tools.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I really like my Tormek. I have use the stones on mines. I guarantee there are things you can do on a Tormek that cannot be done on a regular bench grinder or sharpening stones.
    I does take time to learn the ways of slow grinding. I encourage you to keep it
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I guarantee there are things you can do on a Tormek that cannot be done on a regular bench grinder or sharpening stones.
    What are they, besides grinding planer blades?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-10-2024 at 4:53 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I guarantee there are things you can do on a Tormek that cannot be done on a regular bench grinder or sharpening stones.
    What are they, besides grinding planer blades?
    One advantage the Tormek has over regular bench grinding is tools can be ground away or in. The slow removal of steel using a stone is exactly what needed to grind v gouges for carvings especially small ones.
    hollow grinding A2 plane blades is by far the best way to sharpen especially if a edge is heavily worn.
    For wood turning a negative rake scraper for the cleaning up the bottom of a bowl can be done on a Tormek that’s different then a bench grinder. The tool is ground away and the little burr that’s left make a nice clean cutting edge.
    Im on my second Tormek I wore out the 2000 model but repurposed it as a buffer.
    Here’s some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-10-2024 at 4:54 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Aj

One advantage the Tormek has over regular bench grinding is tools can be ground away or in. The slow removal of steel using a stone is exactly what needed to grind v gouges for carvings especially small ones.
    hollow grinding A2 plane blades is by far the best way to sharpen especially if a edge is heavily worn.
    For wood turning a negative rake scraper for the cleaning up the bottom of a bowl can be done on a Tormek that’s different then a bench grinder. The tool is ground away and the little burr that’s left make a nice clean cutting edge.
    Im on my second Tormek I wore out the 2000 model but repurposed it as a buffer.
    Here’s some pics.
    I do all those things using a light touch on a slow speed (1040rpm) grinder with a cbn wheel and a felt buffing wheel on another bench grinder. The Tormek is a good machine with high quality jigs that makes it impossible to burn an edge, but I am happy with bench grinders, bench stones, a strop and a few handheld slips and hones. To each his own. I will say my adoption of cbn wheels was a gamechanger.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-10-2024 at 4:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I felt like I should have been more clear about grinding away and into. Not to you Kevin I believe you understand.
    This is for the one passing by and reading maybe not understanding. The Tormek has 2 tool rest one on top and one in the front the wheel turns away from the front rest unlike a bench grinder.
    It’s my belief that more people would pursue wood carvings if they could keep carving tools sharp including small knives.
    When I belonged to a woodcarving group this was the main problem.
    Small v gouges are very difficult to sharpen if the edge gets damaged.
    I don’t believe it can be resurrected on a cbn wheel. It’s something that needs to happen if a woodworker wants to carve woods harder then basswood or cotton wood bark.
    Sharpening my wood carvings gouges was the main reason I bought my Tormek. I do use for kitchen knives and jointer knives.
    Good Luck
    Aj

If you are focussing on plane blades and bench chisels, and reasonably experienced, then an 8" half-speed bench grinder with an 180 grit CBN wheel is your better choice. Even more so if you use the Tormek BGM-100 tool rest with it. This is a fast working system with all the accuracy and flexibility of the slow Tormek.

This system replaced a Tormek. The Tormek was the only game in town 15+ years ago. Then CBN wheels became better known outside turning circles, and the Tormek lost ground. Its only advantge was the tool rest, and they sell this as an accessory, so it is no longer a unique product. The irony is that Tormek went to CBN and Diamond wheels, but the reason for their slow grinding speed was that this was as fast as one could work when the wheel is immersed in water. Water is terrific for keeping down dust, and there is an advantage here when working in some environment. However, the CBN wheel is great at dust reduction. Adding a CBN wheel to a Tormek is missing the point, and still too much like lipstick on a pig.

Regards from Perth (currently hiking around Wellington, New Zealand)

Derek

After seeing Derek’s setup that looks very interesting and appealing. Derek you always have nice setups
    I realized something about the Tormek that’s not talked about.
    The Tormek is superbly portable in less then one minute I can have all my attachments with the machine is my truck ready to go. I can do all the same precision sharpening that I do in my shop anywhere there’s a outlet.
    I remember one Christmas I bought my 2000 unit to a Christmas party and sharpened up at least a dozen knives.
    Last year i fixed a expensive shun chefs knife for my daughter in law. Her boyfriend at the time use it to chop pot stems and chipped the blade badly.
    Careful deliberate precision I used the black stone on my Tormek with only minimal loss to the knife. These are the victories that earn the biggest points with my wife and in-laws.
    Good Luck
    Aj

[QUOTE=Andrew Hughes;3311617It’s my belief that more people would pursue wood carvings if they could keep carving tools sharp including small knives.
    When I belonged to a woodcarving group this was the main problem.
    Small v gouges are very difficult to sharpen if the edge gets damaged.
    I don’t believe it can be resurrected on a cbn wheel. It’s something that needs to happen if a woodworker wants to carve woods harder then basswood or cotton wood bark.
    [/QUOTE]

It does take care but can be managed. I hold the tools at a right angle to the wheel face to get a flat grind, using a very light touch and following with a fine diamond stone on the outside and a slipstone on the inside before buffing. A 600# wheel helps to slow the action. Once the shape is established buffing should suffice to keep the carving tools sharp for a long time. I would say a Tormek has the advantage of slow speed so you can't screw up as fast, but no matter the process shaping small carving tools requires some finesse.

Just kind of boils down to method of work. I use mine for all sorts of things from knives to scissors, etc. You really can sharpen just about anything with it and I like using it for a hollow grind instead of my 8" or 6" grinders as I like a flatter bevel. That said, I could totally live without it if I had to. I initially purchased to sharpen turning tools but I've gone free hand with a Wolverine platform for those now.

Check out Taylor tools sharpening system for straight edge tools. Less than fifty bucks for complete system, plus cost of drill press.

I added the planer knife attachment on my Jet version. I couldn't be happier doing my 12" jointer and planer blades. Not every machine feels just right when you use it for the first time.