Thread: Broke my Vise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My problem with quick release vises like the cheaper ones Woodcraft sells is that the quick release mechanism wears out. Must be cheap cast iron. I replaced my old one about a year ago with Rockler's version and that seems to function better than my original. However, I'd say that, it you really want a great vise try the Veritas twin screw vise or their quick release vise. There is also a fantastic looking vise sold by Andrew Klein (at Twin Turbo Vise (in-kleind.com ). These are much more expensive and Andrew Kein's vise may be a bit more complex to install. However, they are certainly more like life-time vises than anything else on the market. The other possibility is a moxxon vise. Hardware for these is sold by a number of companies, including Lie-Nielsen (whose vise I think is already together). However, moxxon vises may not serve all of your needs.

As for putting too much stress on the quick release mechanism, I suppose that's possible although I've cranked mine quite a bit and have never broken it.

You are not alone. I broke my quick release vise a few years ago … will never buy one of those again.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry