Thread: Question for anyone with a Dylos air quality monitor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bernstein View Post
    ... I don't recall exactly what the numbers were before but well over five digits. Let's just say there was so much dust in the air I could barely see the numbers on the monitor. ...
    5 digits!!!! OMG
    I've only seen 5 digits when the raised access floor installers were drilling/cutting concrete. I offered them respirators. They all turned me down. Nothing like concrete/cinder block drilling in my experience for creating huge amounts of small/awful particles. I wonder how long they will survive?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Last year when the Canadian wild fires were blazing, I'd occasionally take the Dylos out in the back yard and see counts up in the 4,000 to 5,000 range here north of Pittsburgh, PA. When that occurred, the counts inside the house would be, perhaps, 1,500 to 2,000. I found that with a MERV 13 furnace filter, I could just run the a/c system in the "FAN Only" mode and bring inside count levels way down in a few hours.

The Dylos is certainly handy to monitor for woodworking dust problems, but you might find it very useful if you get any serious local air quality conditions.

Little update:

The reason I bought the Dylos is that I had previously bought one of those ~$40 "air quality meters" on Amazon (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Zetiling-Dete...dp/B07SD5HJ3Y/), and thought it was inaccurate because it was reading insanely high levels (60,000) inside my house and basically zero in outside air. The Dylos.... did the same thing :/

I have no idea why that would be the case - I have no carpet, pets, or other obvious sources of fine dust, but running the furnace fan (with a MERV 12 filter in it) for a few hours brought the count down to 100 (on both meters). I'm surprised.

My conclusions are:
    -those little Amazon air quality meter cubes have very good correlation with the Dylos.
    -I continue to be unimpressed with the build quality and usability of the Dylos. I bet it was neat a decade ago when there were no other options, but there are cheaper, better options, today.